Coming Soon: Sam In A Can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt they'll completely get rid of bottles when they start canning. What I thought was interesting, is how they've spent so much time on the can-drinking experience. Even if I bought cans, I would probably still pour it in a glass. Wider mouth cans are much easier to pour though. The rough edge can idea made me cringe.

Sounds good to me. I'll drink the heck out of some Sam in a can on the golf course. Right now I've been drinking yuengling. I'd much prefer Sam.

Fwiw, they want to be able to get their product into environments that glass hinders - including drinking glasses. Like sports venues, airplanes, etc...

Cheers!

Interesting...how far do you all think we are away from affordable hoe canning systems?

Cask makes a semi-auto version for nanos for somewhere between $1000-$1500 I think... I've seen a couple used ones on probrewer go for as little as $500. I've been trying to find a local brewery where I could buy a case of empty cans and mess around with building a contraption. I'd much much rather can my beer then bottle it, even if it took longer/cost more.

I don't care for their beers very much and I don't like cans. My father in law drinks Boston Lager, so I do take his bottles. He might have to find a new beer to drink out the bottle.

The hate and ignorance on their facebook page post is hilarious. I never understood the hate for cans.

Have I missed something in the reading? They didn't say they'd be replacing bottles with cans, just that their adding cans to their line. Budweiser and all the other macro brewers sell their beer in cans, glass bottles, aluminum bottles, and even plastic bottles, why would you think Sam would dump their bottles?

I like the idea of the whole top of the can coming off so that it would be similar to drinking out of a glass. Too bad that didn't work out so well.

Across pretty much every industry you can think of, the trend is toward lighter, cheaper, greener packaging. If you've been overseas you'd see plenty of examples moving away from glass yet being accepted by consumers (eg: higher end wines in bib containers).

While macros in cans have long been accepted here, micro consumers still tend to resist the notion. I believe a highly visible company like Sam Adams breaking that psychological barrier would exert a powerful pull in their wake.

All the other factors favor cans, so imo all it's going to take is for buyers to accept cans and I believe there will be a huge move in packaging...

Cheers!

Back