Store bought grape juice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I had seen Yooper's recipe for Welch's wine, is that the cheapest way to go?

My wife wants to make another batch but the $80 or so for a decent kit isn't apealing to her.

She doesn't want to make crap, but it doesn't have to be world class either.

Is it worth putting oak in a welch's or other juice wine?

What is the reason for the difference in welch's and a kit's concentrate?

Well, the welch's is ok- it's made with concord grapes though, so it's nothing like a "real" wine kit. The Niagara Welch's is white, and you might like that better. It sure is cheap, though, and we like it. Apple juice makes a nice wine, too. I would oak a Welch's if I wanted so oak in it, and I would sweeten a Welch's too, if I wanted it less tart. It's not fine wine by any means, but it's not bad!

Steve, my LHBS's manager, is mainly a wine guy, and I was talking to him earlier today about wine on the cheap. He suggested that with a little bit of creativity and disregard for the rules, one could make a pretty good wine out of low low-end 7.5L (2G) kits. With the example of a Cab Sauv, he said that if you followed the directions, you'd get a thin, overly light, boring, watery wine. If you only diluted to about 16L instead of 23L, and added some good oak to build the tannin profile, you could have a totally decent wine. I plan to take him up on it and try it out.

These cheap kits are around $40 here in Canada, so I imagine they'd be around $30 in the US. You'd still be getting about twenty bottles of wine out of it, I can't imagine Welch's would be hugely cheaper.

I think Kai is referring to something like the Sun Country juice concentrates (Alexander's). According to the directions 2 cans are used with sugar and other additives to make 5 gal. The cans are usually $15-$20 each, so they are a little less expensive than the cheaper kits.
I am going to use one of the cans to make a pymet (grape based mead) with a couple of jars of honey. I think using Costco honey at $7.99 for 5# a 5gal batch will cost me about $35. I expect it will make a light red wine.
Craig

Or maybe fortify it with welch's lol.

I had considered grapejuice with a few lbs of real grapes crushed and added in. I wonder if that would help?

cheezydemon said:
What is the reason for the difference in welch's and a kit's concentrate?
The costs of the grapes!!
Concord grapes are very hardy and productive. They produce large crops in a wide variety of climates and soils. This makes the grapes inexpensive and readily available.

Wine grapes are much more difficult to grow and produce much smaller harvests. The grapes are also in strong demand from the wine making industry. This makes the grapes much more expensive.

Wine grapes and concord grapes are quite different with different flavors and sugar contents. You can make good concord grape wine but it will never be mistaken for a wine made from wine grapes.

Craig

Good info! Love this site.
I too am a Welch's user. First step is admitting. It's so easy, and quick. Great in small batches.
But it will not be mistaken for a fine grape harvested wine. I pretty much use the same recipe as Yooperbrew's. What is the reason for the napkin for the first 5 is the amount of sugar? I use less up front and back sweeten for swmbo. I only make half gallon also.

Yeah I have read that wine, and maybe beer too, really benefits from at least somewhat freedom of oxygen movement.

Soulive's tag used to say "anti airlock". They really are fairly anal, ....unless of course you have the fermenter in a high traffic area.

Fermentation keeps everything out by creating diminishing but continuous pressure, and when it stops creating pressure, the ABV is high and it would be hard to infect anyways.

I have 3 kids and 2 dogs, so no matter where in the house mine are, there will be an airlock!

I have made a wine from welches white grape peach juice in the bottle. It fermented fast and I thought tasted pretty good, very light slightly sweet! Just the way I like it!

Back