Dumb Beersmith 2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynavy03

Reaction score
So I've made the leap to all-grain, with about 5 batches under my belt, counting the one currently in the fermenter. I'm using Beersmith, but I'm realizing it needs some tweaking to match my particular setup. To wit, my boil kettle tends to boil off more than it expects. I have my recipes set up under the default "Pot and Cooler (5gal/19L) - All Grain" profile, which is, well, what I'm using. 5 gal Rubbermaid mash tun and hot liquor tank.

Through trial and error, I seem to have gotten close. I just finished brewing a porter which Beersmith said should end up at 1.056 OG by its formula. I added another half gallon of sparge water on top of what the software spit out, and ended up at an OG of 1.053, which I figure is close enough for government work.

My problem is that I don't know where to apply this known correction so that it works in all recipes. I'm still new to the math of all-grain brewing, so I'm a little confused. Thanks!

You can input the boil-off amount that you actually experience. On the 'design' tab page (the main page when you're building a recipe), go the equipment and click on the checkmark to the right of where you select the equipment. That allows you to edit your equipment. A pop-up window appears and you'll see a section under Boiler, and one of the fields is Boil Off. Enter whatever your experienced boil off volume really is and it will adjust the calculations.

AS Pappers says, you need to look at your equipment profile and adjust the parameters to suit your system. There is a video on the BeerSmith site which can guide you through customizing the equipment profile to match your process. The more you tune this in, the better BeerSmith will become in predicting your results.

Back