First mead problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superzombie

Reaction score
Saturday I started my first mead using one of the recipes from the Joy of Home Brewing. But the airlock has yet to bubble and when I pushed down on the lid to make sure there was no air leak it smelled of sulfur. I have read on here and other places several reasons for this and since it has yet to bubble I am wondering if the yeast is to strained. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Please give us the full details of your recipe and process as that will help folks here to give you better answers. We need to know things like ingredients used, nutrients added (and amounts), the starting gravity, current gravity, temp, etc.

I can see why that would help.
1 Gallon of honey
1 Vial of white labs sweet mead yeast
1 teaspoon of irish moss
2.5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 tablespoon gypsum
4 teaspoons acid blend
The OG was 1.100
The temp has just been room temperature around 70 degrees.
I have not taken a current gravity read.
I did add another 3 teaspoons of nutrients that has started is to slowly bubble from the airlock.. It is Fermax with yeast hulls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just because you push down on the lid and air escapes your airlock doesn't mean that you don't have a small leak somewhere else. all it means is the leak is to small to handle the extra pressure you added by pressing down on the lid. put your good ear up next to the bucket. if you hear hissing then you have fermentation going. as far as the smell goes the yeasties are hungry you need to feed them.

Buckets are notoriously leaky. I have some that will not bubble an airlock at all even in the most active phase of fermentation. That's okay, and the must will still ferment, but in order to know how it is going, you need to check the gravity. That is the most reliable way to measure the progress of fermentation.

As for the sulfur, 2.5 teaspoons of nutrient isn't enough and hungry yeast produce hydrogen sulfide (H2S) which causes the stinky smell. Yeast can also produce H2S when under stress from other things like pH. Adding a lot of acid to meads at the beginning often cause the pH to go too low, and can stall the yeast (and I usually recommend adding it after fermentation). Adding products like Fermax may move the pH up a bit and be helpful in addition to the nutrition they provide. If you open the bucket and stir it around to release CO2 you may blow off a lot of the H2S as well and that my help things smell better faster.

I hope it goes smoothly from here on out.

Medsen

Back