transfer pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
I am looking for an inexpensive, self priming transfer pump for moving beer from primary to secondary and secondary to keg. I am tired of lifting up full carboys to autosiphon them. The one's I have seen are around $140, but I know theres got to be something out there cheaper then that.

If you are just using it for cold side those pumps will probably work fine, but if you are planning on using the pump on the hot side you will need something that works at high temps, and the March 809 is really the best option there for the price.

I have a shureflo pump that would work for that. I use it for my chilling coil. They are about $50. Check RV and marine stores. They can run dry with no problems, and are self priming.

I forget the model number but it is the "classic" rv pump. I think they have a 120v model.

thanks for the replys. Boerderij_Kabouter - the first pump you listed says "no suction lift," so that will not work. I will have to take a closer look at the shureflo pumps; it appears that some of them are only submersible, so it would be the same no suction lift problem.

Any other suggestions?

Im wondering about using a $20 fountain pump. They are small. submersible, self priming but not food grade. Surely one could be sanitized prior to the job. Any thoughts?

Not sure if it specifically says. Those types of transfer pumps are designed for fresh water systems in RV's so I imagine they are. At least good enough for brewing.

carboy caps and co2?

This is the way to go! Push. My new fermenters are setup for CO2 pressure. I just connect one sanitary hose from fermenter to serving tank and push. Cuts down on connections and pumps that could cause issues. This is how I did it with my 5g carboys too!

Back