NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True the resale value of stainless is going to be much better, hopefully you wont need to sell them though. I like to be positive. Stainless kegs come up on probrewer all the time for around $100 a piece.

Lot's of progress since I last read this thread.
Wow, looking great. Best of luck and don't let the details mess with your mind.
Keep living the dream and take it slow, hopefully your be the man of the year for quenching the thirst of your town!
Yet again, Best of luck.

After seeing your pics that 10' width seems kinda small, I was going to go 8' on mine, will i be able to turn around in there??:mug:

Hoss, the brewshed looks great. Hope things work out with the old brewpub building.

I did notice you have flourescent lights in the shed, couldn't tell about the cold room. Beware of the UV from those lights, especially if end up fermenting in something clear or not UV resistant. I read somewhere that beer can skunk as fast as 5 minutes, though I can't recall if that was from sunlight or flourescents (obviously, flourescents put out much less UV than the sun). Just wanted to throw that out.

Cheers

After seeing your pics that 10' width seems kinda small, I was going to go 8' on mine, will i be able to turn around in there??:mug:

The 10' did turn out smaller than I'd planned but it's fine for what I have now. If you can go bigger, I would. I'll get a picture soon but I did also add a utility sink for washing or cooling down worts. The cold room really shrunk after putting in the thick R-30 insulation. It went from a 6 X 9 to a 4 X 7.5. It'll still work fine though.

Hoss, the brewshed looks great. Hope things work out with the old brewpub building.

I did notice you have flourescent lights in the shed, couldn't tell about the cold room. Beware of the UV from those lights, especially if end up fermenting in something clear or not UV resistant. I read somewhere that beer can skunk as fast as 5 minutes, though I can't recall if that was from sunlight or flourescents (obviously, flourescents put out much less UV than the sun). Just wanted to throw that out.

Cheers

Thanks for the reminder about the UV light. My fermenting vessels are all UV resistant. I use 6 gallon buckets and I have two 15 gallon SS Sanke fermentors. Right now there is no lighting in the cold room.

HB, I've been lurking this thread for a while. What you're doing looks great brother and I am excited for yah!

Cheers

It's the sun NOT fluorescent bulbs, they have zero effect on beer.

New pics showing the utility sink and water supply.

Here you see the sink then hanging near the door is a hose.
11-01-09 New brew room.jpg

I decided to test out the rig with a 5 gallon extract brew. Heats up 3 gallons real fast. :D
Used a folding table so it's out of the way when not in use and the Keezer will go to the shop once it's ready.
11-01-09 Testing the new room.jpg

EDIT: I also wore my kilt brewing for the first time. No pictures of that though, maybe next time.

I could see T5 fluorescents having enough energy to damage beer. They are commonly used on aquariums for growing corals whereas standard fluorescent lighting will not work. I grew a large reef consisting of small polyp stony corals with T5 lighting instead of Metal Halide lighting. In other words if sunlight is bad for beer, then T5 fluorescents could be bad.

Setup this water supply for the sink and brewing. Next I'll get a point of use hot water unit so I can clean kegs etc out here.
I also cleaned all 3 burners and found each of them had old mud wasp nests in them. I was surprised any of them worked at all.

Water supply.jpg

How are you going to be cleaning and kegging your beer? Have you bot either a keg cleaner or filler? I'm getting ready to go micro-pro in SD and that's my last hurdle. Prost!

How are you going to be cleaning and kegging your beer? Have you bot either a keg cleaner or filler? I'm getting ready to go micro-pro in SD and that's my last hurdle. Prost!

For now I'm just using 5 gallon corney kegs so I just fill with cleaning solution and some Co2 then shake, then hook up to a tap to clean both the tap and the keg lines. I imagine you could do the same if one was using Sanke kegs.

Are you planning on selling soda-configured kegs into commercial establishments then? Are you providing them the whole setup then?

We haven't found any traction with non-Sanke down here, so I have to convert or buy a whole fleet of sanke sixtels.

Are you planning on selling soda-configured kegs into commercial establishments then? Are you providing them the whole setup then?

We haven't found any traction with non-Sanke down here, so I have to convert or buy a whole fleet of sanke sixtels.

I'm only selling by the glass and bottles. Right now I'd rather not deal with selling kegs to establishments because that usually entails maintenance etc..

In the future I may build a few rental boxes or something.

Is your cold room operational? I'm looking for any tips possible, as my brew shed project just got moved up to right now!!:ban:

Staying with cornies for now is probably a good idea, going to sanke type kegs requires a whole new slew of equipment, and if your going to self distribute doing the maintenance on your customer's taps is going to be a pain in the rear.

I'm only selling by the glass and bottles. Right now I'd rather not deal with selling kegs to establishments because that usually entails maintenance etc..

In the future I may build a few rental boxes or something.

12oz or 22oz? are you going to have them customized with a label or just reuse storebought ones? if 22oz, are you going to ask the bars to return the emptys?

I learned a year or so ago that the sanke route is a little different, you can get a keg filler/washer head from st.pat's of texas for about $150 and it'll take a while to figure out a workable process for cleaning but would be worth it if you were selling beer to restaraunts and bars. plastic kegs do work as stated and I have been fairly impressed so far. chicocompany.net has used stainless kegs off and on, you just have to keep checking back with them.
good luck to you, and dont let the nay sayers get you down......... like you said, even if it doesnt sustain itself long term for some reason, you will have a really cool man cave and the life experience (journey) is where the real benefit is anyway.

12oz or 22oz? are you going to have them customized with a label or just reuse storebought ones? if 22oz, are you going to ask the bars to return the emptys?

I'll just be selling to walk-in customers. 12 oz for now with my own label on them. I'll be using new bottles and not reusing other companies bottles.

How's progress Hoss?

Tuesday we go to the ABC and file the paperwork for the new shop. We then will have to post the obligatory 30 day "we be sell'n booze here, ya gotta a problem wit dat?" notice. Plus we'll be remodeling the shop so I'll be taking pictures and posting them here as we progress to opening day.
Meanwhile I'll keep building up a stockpile of beer.

How can you distribute without a distributor?

What happened to the necesarry 1-2-3 laws? Brewer-Distributor-Retailer

how much has this cost you so far? i mean licencing, permits, equipment...? this is truly epic

how much has this cost you so far? i mean licencing, permits, equipment...? this is truly epic

Around $400 for licensing and then the brewhouse came out around $3,000 including brewing supplies. Equipment was given to me in exchange for some beer and the opportunity to use it if, and when, he wants to.
I also had to pony up $1,000 for a bond.

That's a heck of a value there! i was expecting more. Really interested in following this, and reproducing your venture in the near future!

I have nothing to add except that this is totally awesome. This is what beer used to be and should be again. A locally produced, locally consumed product. Good luck to you!

Capa: That is the wave you can ride right now sir. I mean if you can make a good product you can get a huge local following. I can't wait until I move back to Oregon cause Salem is just ripe for a brewery and a lot of locally produced things such as restaurants and markets have really started growing fast down there, I know that local beer would be a huge hit.

I have nothing to add except that this is totally awesome. This is what beer used to be and should be again. A locally produced, locally consumed product. Good luck to you!

Capa: That is the wave you can ride right now sir. I mean if you can make a good product you can get a huge local following. I can't wait until I move back to Oregon cause Salem is just ripe for a brewery and a lot of locally produced things such as restaurants and markets have really started growing fast down there, I know that local beer would be a huge hit.

Thank you all for the support. This is what I'm hoping for, it really does seem to be the thing these days to get behind the local products and support them.

Well you know I think with the stock market crash it got a lot of people thinking. Part of the problem with our economy is that we are so detached from where our stuff is produced, I think people are starting to realize that we have to locally produce and consume products if we want to support our economy. I like to think about it this way, you can't outsource service jobs, someone from India isn't going to fix your car. Sure beer can be outsourced but wouldn't it be great if people expected their beer to be locally produced? Look at Portland I think a lot of people expect their beer to come from the Portland area and in fact they demand it. There is a lot of awesome beer out there that is from other countries but when it comes down to it people are going to want to consume beer that they can get fresh down the street and maybe fill a growler or two which they can't do with bottled beer.

Back