yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper06

Reaction score
First n foremost, I's like to let you all know that I'm a new homebrewer. I am very pleased with the amount of resources on this site and I would like to thank every body who posts here. Now to my post.

I have a Chimay culture from a 750ml Red. I observed that the sediment a the bottom of my primary must be the yeast rapidly propagating. So I did a little experiment. I racked the newly formed sediment at the bottom and stored it in a mason jar filled halfway with boiled, cooled water to keep.

After an hour, I noticed that the bottom of the primary had a 2mm layer of sediment. It seems that the yeast propagates very rapidly at the beginning of the brew. It must be that the yeast prefers to multiply when there is enough food and when it reaches a certain point where there is enough of them,they start to feed.

Now for the second part of the experiment, I am going to rack as much yeast from this primary and keep doing it to see whether it is a feasible method to harvest yeast.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this experiment I am performing. Thanks

Good luck. If you look at the bottom of this page you will see a list of related threads on this topic with more info.

Welcome to HBT.

Back