San Diego brewers...Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
To all the SAn Diego area brewers out there....what water do you use? It seems impossible to get a report that is at all usefull from the water authority, but the tap water isn't drinkable in my opinion, and therefore would not be used in brewing.

I have this same question. I know there are a lot of people who are brewing fantastic beers. Modifying the water seems so complicated as every change affects another. I was hoping to find a bottled water that I could use without modification.

Or... what beers work well with San Diego (Encinitas) water.

Well, can't give you specifics about your local water but if it does not taste good, it is probably not worth using. Might wanna consider either filtering your water or buying spring water.

I filter my tap water. I have a water filter that removes most of the bad crap and my beer comes out very well. I am not sure if my water is the same as in Encinitas. I am in South Park.

There is a water report on the San Diego Water site if you look for it.

I've also in the past used the water filtration machines and had good luck with them too. Your water profile will be totally different after the filter, but if you're really concerned you can send your water off to a lab for analysis.

I get Reverse Osmosis water from the local gas corner market, 25 cents a gallon, then modify it from there. You could always shoot an e-mail to Stone to see what they do, They are out of Encinitas. I think I remember reading in their "Clone a Stone" Vertical Epic series them saying something like they bring the water up to a certain temp to vaporize the chlorine..or something like that.

Like stated above you can get a water report off of the water authority web site. You might have to search around for it though. If I remember, there are two reports that you can download to get the full image of water.
Also, I personally feel that the water in San Diego is great right out of the tap. If you talk to a lot of the Brew Mart people, they would tell you that they don:t treat their water at all and it produces pretty good beer as is.
:mug:

Back