Beginner question. Basic equipment needed for hard apple juice/cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
I have bought yeast preservitive free apple juice and sugar. I am trying to decide on an air lock and stopper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E60G2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E62PXA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Do they look okay? Do I need anything else?

The only reason I chose amazon is because I have prime shipping. Still not that good of a deal though, so if you know of a better place please let me know. If I am fermenting directly in my 1 gallon apple juice jug, do I need other bottles to transfer it into? Can I just use an old wine bottle? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any walk in store might save you some money but only a couple of dollars. You'd spend that in gas. I prefer that type of bung over a rubber stopper. I use the S type airlock for secondary just because it seems like the vodka in it doesn't evaporate quite as fast.

Any walk in store might save you some money but only a couple of dollars. You'd spend that in gas. I prefer that type of bung over a rubber stopper. I use the S type airlock for secondary just because it seems like the vodka in it doesn't evaporate quite as fast.

So are you saying I should use the air lock I chose from amazon for primary fermentation, but when I switch it to another bottle put the s type on it? Thanks.

p.s. Sorry for the stupid questions. Really just want to make sure I have the right setup.

The problem with buying stoppers online is do you know for sure it's the correct size?

You didn't mention it in your original post, but I assume you have a jug/carboy of some kind to ferment in?

Edit: I found the reference to the jug size. The stopper you have listed looks like a large one that would fit a 5 gallon carboy/better bottle and not a 1 gallon glass jug. The glass jugs I've found in the store do not have the same size neck as the 1 gallon jugs sold at the brew stores. Just be careful to be sure you are getting the correct size bung for the jug.

You can use what ever to transfer the cider and then transfer it back into the original jug. It's more work, more chance of aeration but doable. Just make sure you sanitize everything and use a siphon hose rather than pour.

Slightly off topic - but these items don't qualify for Amazon Prime. Between those two items, you'll end up paying nearly $9 in shipping.

The problem with buying stoppers online is do you know for sure it's the correct size?

You didn't mention it in your original post, but I assume you have a jug/carboy of some kind to ferment in?

Edit: I found the reference to the jug size. The stopper you have listed looks like a large one that would fit a 5 gallon carboy/better bottle and not a 1 gallon glass jug. The glass jugs I've found in the store do not have the same size neck as the 1 gallon jugs sold at the brew stores. Just be careful to be sure you are getting the correct size bung for the jug.

You can use what ever to transfer the cider and then transfer it back into the original jug. It's more work, more chance of aeration but doable. Just make sure you sanitize everything and use a siphon hose rather than pour.

To be honest I dont even have a glass one gallon jug yet. I was just told I need a stopper. I just wanted to start making some ghetto wine/hooch in an apple juice container bought from the store. I plan on fermenting right into it so I do not have to deal with sanitizing another bottle. So I dont need the stopper unless I have secondary jug to poor it into? Do I need to buy a glass one gallon jug? Thanks.

To be honest I dont even have a glass one gallon jug yet. I was just told I need a stopper. I just wanted to start making some ghetto wine/hooch in an apple juice container bought from the store. I plan on fermenting right into it so I do not have to deal with sanitizing another bottle. So I dont need the stopper unless I have secondary jug to poor it into? Do I need to buy a glass one gallon jug? Thanks.

You "should" use a stopper and air lock, but many a brew has been made without one. If you want to forgo the airlock then use a ziplock bag and rubber band to seal off the opening. The co2 pressure will blow up the bag and it will leak out past the seal from the rubber band but let little air back in while under pressure. Once it's done fermenting and you let the pressure out of the bag all bets are off.

I guess you could bottle right out of the primary if you're careful and skip the secondary and bottling bucket steps, they just make clearing and bottling so much easier.

Having said all that, if you are going to do more brewing I recommend getting equipment (glass jugs, stoppers, airlocks, hydrometer, sanitizer - as a minimum) as well as some good yeast made for brewing and not bread yeast. You'll like the outcome better. :rockin:

If you notice they raise the price on the ones that qualify for the super saver shipping so it basically costs the same as the cheaper one when you add the shipping cost. If you can, find a home brew store near you and support your local economy.

I did notice that, but not much I can do about it. I don't have a brew store near me and 2 day free shipping is nice. Plus I can't really see it being cheaper anywhere else online. If you know of a place please let me know.

You "should" use a stopper and air lock, but many a brew has been made without one. If you want to forgo the airlock then use a ziplock bag and rubber band to seal off the opening. The co2 pressure will blow up the bag and it will leak out past the seal from the rubber band but let little air back in while under pressure. Once it's done fermenting and you let the pressure out of the bag all bets are off.

I guess you could bottle right out of the primary if you're careful and skip the secondary and bottling bucket steps, they just make clearing and bottling so much easier.

Having said all that, if you are going to do more brewing I recommend getting equipment (glass jugs, stoppers, airlocks, hydrometer, sanitizer - as a minimum) as well as some good yeast made for brewing and not bread yeast. You'll like the outcome better. :rockin:

1.Okay I am thinking I might invest in some cheap equipment.
How many glass bottles will I need for one brew?Can I just use an old wine bottle?

2.How many stoppers or airlocks? What does a stopper do?

3.If I will be making an order of several brewing items like this is there a store online that is cheap enough?

Thanks.

1. If you can get some glass 1gallon pickle jars and scold them with hot soapy water and a little bleach to sanatize them, rinse well. You'll need 2. 1 for primary 1 for secondary, then bottle into mason jars, old jars anything like that. I use old pickle jars with lids.

2. On the primary you do an airlock but its not required. On my primary I use a bag over the top with a rubber band holdin it in place with a stick pin hole in it. On your secondary you need an airlock and bung. A bung keeps all air out its just a very good seal.

3. Google home brew shops around your local area you'll find some quite cheap

1. If you can get some glass 1gallon pickle jars and scold them with hot soapy water and a little bleach to sanatize them, rinse well. You'll need 2. 1 for primary 1 for secondary, then bottle into mason jars, old jars anything like that. I use old pickle jars with lids.

2. On the primary you do an airlock but its not required. On my primary I use a bag over the top with a rubber band holdin it in place with a stick pin hole in it. On your secondary you need an airlock and bung. A bung keeps all air out its just a very good seal.

3. Google home brew shops around your local area you'll find some quite cheap

What is the point of secondary fermentation? Why couldn't I just use a balloon for primary and for secondary? Thanks.

1.Okay I am thinking I might invest in some cheap equipment.
How many glass bottles will I need for one brew?Can I just use an old wine bottle?

2.How many stoppers or airlocks? What does a stopper do?

3.If I will be making an order of several brewing items like this is there a store online that is cheap enough?

Thanks.

Any glass jugs will work. I bought apple juice in a glass jugs (3qt size) for about the cost of a new gallon jug so basically I got the juice free. They've since raised the price by 2x so it's not worth me going that route again till this fall when apple cider is in abundance.

The problem purchasing a stopper online is getting the size correct. You can measure the jug opening and look at a stopper chart size to determine what size stopper to purchase.

You will need 2 containers of equal size to rack, both should be glass but you can rack out of the glass into a plastic pitcher and then back into the glass after it's cleaned out. It's a PITA tho so 2 similar vessels makes it so much easier and you only have to transfer once per racking.

You'll only need a stopper and airlock for each vessel that will contain a liquid. I have 13 vessels (not all shown) and I leave one empty to rack into, so I need 12 stoppers (bungs) and 12 airlocks. I do a double transfer on the 3qt jugs though.

The bung goes in the top of the bottle and then the airlock fits in the hole in the bung. Fill the airlock with water to the prescribed depth and no air can get into the fermentation vessel.

You can get bungs that fit all sizes.

Most online brew stores have similar priced items. Here's a list that may do free shipping.

What is the point of secondary fermentation? Why couldn't I just use a balloon for primary and for secondary? Thanks.

Secondary fermentation is a much slower process. 70 percent or more of your ferment will be done in the primary vessel where there will be a ton of co2 gas emitted that will keep oxygen away from your juice.

Once fermentation slows down it's best to use a proper stopper/bung and airlock to keep the outside air away from the juice. Things can go bad over the course of the winemaking if you don't. The wine can spend up to 6 months in a secondary as it clears and give off little to no co2.

I highly recommend reading some winemaking starter material. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/starting.asp, a UK site, winmaking site

The point of secondary, thats where the Alcohol is made. And I dont really recommend using a ballon because of the latex, etc. if you cant buy a bung and airlock then use the bag method that I mentioned on primary. Then when you get it in the secondary take the lid to whatever container your using and drill a hole in it. Get a peice of rubber tube, hardware stores carry it. Put it about an inch inside the lid then put the other end into a cup of whatever. You can google it and get more in depth instructions.

Thanks so much for your help guys. Found a local brew shop:
http://howdoyoubrew.com/index.php
I will probably take a trip up there in a couple of days. What exactly do I need to make one batch of just ghetto hard cider? I plan on using the actual jug I bought it in for my primary because it will save me time sanitizing. Thanks.

I will probably take a trip up there in a couple of days. What exactly do I need to make one batch of just ghetto hard cider?
thanks.

Well ive never made cider but you can probably google it or post in the cider section of this forum and they'll tell you

Thanks so much for your help guys. Found a local brew shop:
http://howdoyoubrew.com/index.php
I will probably take a trip up there in a couple of days. What exactly do I need to make one batch of just ghetto hard cider? I plan on using the actual jug I bought it in for my primary because it will save me time sanitizing. Thanks.

First off, sanitizing doesn't take any time. I take a clean vessel and run very hot tap water in it and shake it all about then spray with StarSan solution. Then it sits for 2 minutes while I get other things ready. 2 minutes and 30 seconds tops.

You're gonna need to sanitize your stopper and air lock anyways.

You'll need to get a drilled stopper that fits your apple juice container and an airlock.

Get some good cider yeast or at least ale yeast. If nothing else get some Nottingham.

That's about the minimum you'll need. Hopefully others will chime in.

First off, sanitizing doesn't take any time. I take a clean vessel and run very hot tap water in it and shake it all about then spray with StarSan solution. Then it sits for 2 minutes while I get other things ready. 2 minutes and 30 seconds tops.

You're gonna need to sanitize your stopper and air lock anyways.

You'll need to get a drilled stopper that fits your apple juice container and an airlock.

Get some good cider yeast or at least ale yeast. If nothing else get some Nottingham.

That's about the minimum you'll need. Hopefully others will chime in.
already bought some champagne yeast. So I should be okay there. Maybe I will just buy like two glass bottles for it at the brew shop. What should i look for? about one gallon glass jar/jug (what would it be called)?

already bought some champagne yeast. So I should be okay there. Maybe I will just buy like two glass bottles for it at the brew shop. What should i look for? about one gallon glass jar/jug (what would it be called)?

1 gallon glass jug/fermentation vessel. They'll know what you are asking for.

They'll also know the stopper size for the jug.

Got these from a relative. Stopper size was same as my 5 gal.carboy.

image-4217081838.jpg

I use the 1 gallon wine glass jugs all the time. Have 5 of em.

I havn't found a good solution for racking from them, the openings are too small for my easy siphons.

I have an elcheapo hand pump siphoning gizmo I bought at an auto parts store. It works ok but the lines are small and it is really slow. Here's a pic of something similiar

pump.jpg

I use the 1 gallon wine glass jugs all the time. Have 5 of em.

I havn't found a good solution for racking from them, the openings are too small for my easy siphons.

I have an elcheapo hand pump siphoning gizmo I bought at an auto parts store. It works ok but the lines are small and it is really slow. Here's a pic of something similiar

Thanks^^

Just checked out the store online:
http://www.howdoyoubrew.com/brewstore/index.php?cPath=49_23_75
They are new and doesn't look like they have much... I hope their instore selection is better...

Also I think I will start a batch before I hit up the homebrew store. Does it have to be ziplock? Can i use just a regular freezer/ foodstorage bag?
like this:
http://99centsdollaritemwholesale.c..._food-storage_bags_with_twist_ties_gallon.JPG

edit: also would it hurt to just crack the lid? I saw some people just crack the lid so a littl gas can get out? Is this wise?

Either one is fine to start until you get your gear. I've used both freezer bags and loose lids.

Either one is fine to start until you get your gear. I've used both freezer bags and loose lids.

Okay thanks. Just finished up and am using loose lids. When it was completely closed, I unturned about a quarter turn. Should that be okay? thanks.

Yuppers, if you squeeze the jug air should escape the lid thus no bombs. :p

Thanks so much for your help.

Quick question: I didn't put the yeast in warm waster to activate I just dumped it in because it said it was active dry yeast. I should still be okay here right?
Also someone told me raisins would help... Would it be beneficial to add raisins? Thanks.

Back