Feedback on this PA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to get some feedback on an extract recipe I tried recently. I am definitely new at this. The recipe was originally a five gallon recipe but I tried to convert it in half I am curious to see what people would change to make it better. Especially regarding the Cara Munich

Volume
4 gallons in pot
3 gallons primary
2.75 gallons secondary

Grains
Light LME 4.1 lbs
Wheat 91 grams DME
Victory 170 grams
Cara Munich 170 grams ( recipe called for munich but I heard that you had to mash)

Yeast
wyeast 1056

Hop Additions
60 Mins – Magnum 13% = 9.5 grams
10 Mins – Cascade 6% = 7 grams
Centenial 9% = 7 grams
0 Mins- Cascade = 7 grams
Centenial = 7 grams
Dry Hop Cascade = 20 grams

The caramunich is really a medium crystal malt and will give you a different character than munich (i.e. sweeter, caramel/toffee flavor as opposed to malty). If the recipe already called for crystal and you had swapped out the munich for carramunich that might have been too much, but as is it looks to be about 7% of your grain bill. That should work.

Should be a nice pale ale, albeit not too hoppy. The caramunich is fairly sweet for a caramel/crystal grain tending toward raisin and date flavors. The munich would not have needed to be mashed to pull out it's attributes- a bit of biscuit and bread flavor, with some head retention and body. You will get more sugar, color and sweetness out of the caramunich, and it may make this beer a bit more balanced and a bit less hoppy- though it does look like a tasty recipe!

Thanks so much for the feedback. The recipe called for regular munich malt. Could I just steep the munich the same way I would for other specialty malts like crystal?

So far it tastes pretty good although it has almost no hop aroma. I may kick up dry hopping to a full ounce

I agree, Caramunich is sweeter, but in this quantity is perfectly normal for a pale ale.

The 91g of wheat LME seems almost pointless unless you know the one you're buying is all wheat. Often they are 50/50 pale and wheat malts. I'd either not bother and up the light LME to compensate, or I'd increase the wheat and lower the LME. Northern Brewer is my LHBS and sells LME in 3.13 lb quantity. So I'd use 3.13 light LME and 1 lb wheat DME for simplicity of purchases and for a more significant contribution of wheat. But what you have will be absolutely fine.

Glad you mentioned the 50/50 wheat mix. That is exactly what it was. I wanted to add a bit of wheat for head retention. Some beers I made in the past were really lacking in that area.

Back