SMaSH help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
A little background, I am new-ish to AG and am having a hard time nailing down an IPA that has the qualities I want. I want to try and experiment with some different hops to fins the qualities I want, resinous and dank. My questions are as follows, can I make SMaSH batches that are only a gallon and ferment them in growlers? IF so how do I figure out the amount of yeast to pitch? Should I stick with the AG for these batches or just use a full boil of Pilsen DME since I am looking to find the hop flavor? Any helpful notes appreciated.

Side note, the hop profile I am looking for is along the lines of Hopstoopid and FW Double Jack, if someone could point me in the right direction...

Absolutely you can brew a 1 gallon batch, and many people do as experimental batches just as your describing. As to fermentation in a growler - that depends on how big your growlers are. You have to remember to leave headspace for the krausen / and or use a blow off tube.

For the yeast amounts, check out mrmalty.com for pitching rates and whatnot.

Check out Basic Brew Radio's video podcast about their Six-Pack IPA. They ended up with about 3/4 of a gallon in the primary yielding 6.5 12oz bottles: (http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-video-2006 - Jan 12, 2006 with a couple videos after that on dry hopping, bottling and tasting.)

Most extracts are composed of different malts, so your batches wouldn't ""technically"" be a SMaSH. But I did just that the other weekend - Pilsen DME with different hops in a couple batches - I just wrote them in my logs as SEaSH for Single Extract and Single Hop ;)

Cheers :mug:

For my first one I modified/copied the recipe from the podcast video. I brewed essentially a double batch from what they described and used the yeast I had on hand:

Water and Grains/Extract
2.5 gal distilled water
2.5 lb Briess Pilsen
no specialty grains
OG 1.054

Hops (Comes out conveniently to 1 full oz)
0.6oz Cascade @ 60 min
0.2oz Cascade @ 30 min
0.2oz Cascade @ 10 min

Yeast
WLP090 - I used about 2/3 of the vial (based on the viability and calcuations from Mr. Malty) - fermentation took off within 10 hours (the first time I checked it after brewing) and has been steady for a couple days.

As far as hopstoopid look at simcoe, cascade, chinook, nugget, (dry hop: simcoe, Columbus, ,chinook)

For Dankness try a late hop only. Twenty minutes an under, let you flame out addition steep for 5 to 10 before chilling, then dry hop.

Simcoe will have that heady aroma

Read Mr. Malty on late hop additions. I would cut back your 60 min addition and really ramp up the 20 through 5 min additions. I believe FW wWalker does it on their IPA.

Back