Goose Island Sofie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmich24

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a GI Sofie Clone. I had it again last night and remembered why I have a bunch cellered. Amazing.

Here is a link to GI website: http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/sofie/28.php

I am guessing:

10 pounds Belgian Pils
2 pounds White wheat
1 oz Amarillo 60 min
Mash at 154 to leave some dextrins?

Pitch Wyeast 3711 for primary? (Super high attenuation)
Rack to secondary with Brett B or Sofie dregs? 1 oz Bitter Orange Peal ? and 1 oz French Oak Soaked in Oaked White Wine? Maybe Some Maltodextrin for some munchies?

Age for 4 months or until FG steady?

Anyone ever try to brew this? Suggestions to my current recipe?

Thanks!

Why use a super attenuating primary yeast, but use maltodextrin to keep infermentable sugars for the bugs?

As you know, your high mash will leave some more complex sugars to be fermented. I recommend a less attenuative yeast or pitching the bugs along with the yeast from the beginning.

Why use a super attenuating primary yeast, but use maltodextrin to keep infermentable sugars for the bugs?

As you know, your high mash will leave some more complex sugars to be fermented. I recommend a less attenuative yeast or pitching the bugs along with the yeast from the beginning.

The issue is that all Saison Yeasts are highly attenuative. Pitching at the brett at the same time makes since though.

Any one else?

The issue is that all Saison Yeasts are highly attenuative. Pitching at the brett at the same time makes since though.

Any one else?

Mash high and most yeasts will leave a decent amount of sugars. 3711 is probably the most attenuating sacc yeast you can get.

Mash high and most yeasts will leave a decent amount of sugars. 3711 is probably the most attenuating sacc yeast you can get.

Should I consider the Belgian Saison vs. the French?

Any other specifics about my recipe in relation to Goose Island Sofie. I find it hard to believe no one has tried to clone this. Succesfully or not.

Should I consider the Belgian Saison vs. the French?

Any other specifics about my recipe in relation to Goose Island Sofie. I find it hard to believe no one has tried to clone this. Succesfully or not.

WPL565 would be a better choice. 3711 is just a beast; not my favorite, but does a pretty good job of drying out a beer.

I've not tried Sofie. Too many other beers out there with more history. I'll get around to it someday.

I've got one going with 3724, and I added Brett B at about seven days. At 22 days I racked to secondary and added oak spirals and fresh orange peel. I wanted it to have a little higher abv than the original, so I used more grain. The OG was 1.083, and in the first 22 days it went down to about 1.020. The activity picked back up after moving to the secondary. I'll probably check it in a few weeks and see where it is. Tasting at 22 days was pretty good. A little bigger mouthfeel than I was hoping for, but at 1.020 that isn't surprising. I'm hoping that it will go down to at least 1.005. I think I probably would mash a little lower so that it dries out pretty well.

I've got one going with 3724, and I added Brett B at about seven days. At 22 days I racked to secondary and added oak spirals and fresh orange peel. I wanted it to have a little higher abv than the original, so I used more grain. The OG was 1.083, and in the first 22 days it went down to about 1.020. The activity picked back up after moving to the secondary. I'll probably check it in a few weeks and see where it is. Tasting at 22 days was pretty good. A little bigger mouthfeel than I was hoping for, but at 1.020 that isn't surprising. I'm hoping that it will go down to at least 1.005. I think I probably would mash a little lower so that it dries out pretty well.

Care to share share your final recipe?

Thanks

You could adjust the grain bill a bit to get a little less abv of you want. I can't remember what I mashed at, and I don't have my notes with me, but if/when I do this one again, I'll probably mash at 145 to get it to dry out a bit more.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1182686/belgian-specialty-ale-recipes/sofie-clone

How did you like the overal beer besides the high final gravity(assuming the brett will knock that down given the time)? Spicifically, the oak and bitter orange? I am assuming you used 1oz of orange peel? How do you think the flameout Amarillo addition will last assuming you are letting the brett work for a few months? I have thought about moving the flameout addition to a dryhop. Also how long do you plan to let this one sit befor bottling/kegging?

I just ordered my yeast, probably brew it this weekend. I will post my results as well. Good luck with yours. Thanks for the additional information.

Well - I just put the oak and orange in last weekend, so I don't know how those will affect it. That said - I really liked the taste when I racked to secondary. It had gone from1.083 to 1.020 and didn't have much alcohol flavor, very smooth. The was a bit of tartness and some fruitiness from the Saison yeast. I'm really looking forward to tasting it when it's done. I plan to let it go another 3-4 weeks before I check again.

FYI - ive been fermenting pretty warm - about 80 I think, cause the Saison likes the high temps.

Also - on the orange peel - I actually used fresh orange peel from about six oranges. I came across a video on YouTube talking about them using fresh orange. I calculate the amount from their states amount.

I brewed my sofie clone tonight. I did a mini mash because my LHBS isnt have enough belgian pils. Here is my recipe.

Dingmans Pils- 4lbs
Flaked Wheat -2lbs
White Wheat-1lbs
Light Pils DME -3 Pounds
Mash at 156

Pitched Wyeast Belgian Saison and Wyeast Brett B + Sofie Dregs at 78 degrees. I am going to keep it in the 80 for a week with a heating pad.

I hit my intended O.G 1.056 and hop this attenuates down to 1.002 or so.

Primary 30 days.

Secondary for 90-120 with 75 oz White wine soaked French medium toast Oak chips and 1 oz bitter orange peel.

Will post results for those interested.

Just tasted my Sofie clone after only 50 days. Amazing taste and nose, big citrus and barnyard I could easily drink this puppy now but, it is only down to 1.010. I am going to wait a few months. So far so good!

So the beer is not done yet and you already praising it?

Heheh...it could get a lot more sour...How much lower than 1010 do you plan on going?

I hope you get a get good one...If you can easily drink it now...keg it up :) What are you waiting for?

Based on having just drank one and my extensive experience with 3711, I'd lean towards Dupont strain. Especially since the brewer mentioned it in a video talking about the beer.

I'm thinking of running Dupont aka 565/3724 on the cool side to limit what it kicks off. Sofie's funk doesn't feel like it's heavy Dupont (and I've run it everywhere from 65-110). I wouldn't be afraid of using a little Amarillo late either since you're going to end up wine oaking, Bretting, aging etc. For 25 IBUs, I think some can go 15 mins or later and meld pretty nicely with orange peels & everything else.

Just my thoughts.

Back