Jaom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
JAOM:

I have heard of people making jaom with bakers yeast and it turning out fine. However if I use a wine yeast like corte de blanc, montrachet, or another; will I still have good results?

Complete disagreement.

It's a fine sweet mead, as I presume Joe intended. But wine yeasts take it dry and I found it to be bloody horrible. The ingredients dont lend themselves to being a good dry recipe at all. If you want dry, then make a traditional ......

+1. He's very insistent on not altering the recipe. All too many people think they know better and use wine yeast, only to complain the recipe turned out bitter and dry.
If you want to use wine yeast, save a proportion of the honey for back-sweetening. But if you're going to customise the recipe you might as try something a bit more advanced than JAOM anyway!

Yea I will chime in with FB and Peppers. Joam is great the way it is. Don't change the yeast unless you try a whole new recipe. Joam gets darn tasty after about 6 months and I have no complaints with it's process.

Back