can someone help with 120v?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While your solution is right, you might want to re-check your spec sheets. Typical SSR leakage is in the 3-5mA range. A heck of a lot higher than you're thinking. Plenty to light neon.

Well, it really depends on the particular manufacturer/model. Some of them have built-in circuits to limit the leakage current, and some don't. The ones that do typically leak current in the microamps range, but the ones that have no internal circuitry for that purpose will leak in the 1-10mA range depending upon the load.

Hey to anyone out there I'm getting ready to seal up the PVC cap on the element. Does it matter how the terminals are wired to the element. And for the ground I took a 1 1/4 washer a brazed the ground to the washer then that goes under the black gasket that came with it. Will this work before she is sealed up. Please help. As well got the control panel ready for wires here's some pics

image-4114972979.jpg

image-3797633541.jpg

image-1826472780.jpg

image-2657982825.jpg

image-2020556348.jpg

image-145098178.jpg

image-2400882692.jpg

I do electrical construction for a living and your box looks better than mine, good job!

A 120v element will have 1 hot and 1 neutral
A 240v element will have 2 hot and 0 neutral

Looks like you are good to go to seal it up in either case.

Note:
The plug and receptacle will be numbered, not color coded, always remember:
1 Black
2 White
3 Red
4 Green

There is nothing that says what side to hook up the hot to or the neutral. I guess my question is does it matter what side goes where since it isn't marked does it mean the hot can go any where and then the same with neutral

weirdboy said:
It is basically just a big resistor. You can hook it up either way and it will work the same.

Thank you sir. I thought so but wanted to double check before sealing her up.

Ok well not sure what to do. Sry for all the questions. I used a washer to ground the element but in doing that I won't b able to use the black gasket that came with. So it will go (from inside out) locknut, o-ring,kettle wall, washer, element. Should that still give me a good seal? Should I wrap the element threads with teflon tape? I already started to seal element. And the controls are done. Here's some pics.

Thanks again u guys! p-j u sure r respected. As well weirdboy,jkarp and mredge73. Couldn't have done it and felt safe with out ya.

image-852770572.jpg

image-708584683.jpg

image-200028796.jpg

Well, it really depends on the particular manufacturer/model. Some of them have built-in circuits to limit the leakage current, and some don't. The ones that do typically leak current in the microamps range, but the ones that have no internal circuitry for that purpose will leak in the 1-10mA range depending upon the load.

In other words, you're saying to check the spec sheet. :p

The SSRs folks are buying from Auber do not have any such circuitry, hence my warning about the indicator lamp. Many on HBT have tripped up on that before.

Ok well not sure what to do. Sry for all the questions. I used a washer to ground the element but in doing that I won't b able to use the black gasket that came with. So it will go (from inside out) locknut, o-ring,kettle wall, washer, element. Should that still give me a good seal?

Try it and see. Any weldless fitting takes a little tweaking to make water tight. You may have to add a little teflon tape to keep water from seeping through the threads and past the inside of the o-ring.

One more question. What is the auto tune? And how long does it take. It's up and runnin now. But lastnight I ran auto tune for and hour. It never stopped. I set the temp to 170 and it went way over that. How do I use this feature. Dumb founded

Takes 1.5-2H on my SETOS PID, I am sure the Auber is similar.

The first time that I tried to do the autotune, I accidently turned on the manual mode and it went way over my set point, you may have done the same thing.

Auto tuning takes different amounts of time based on the system being controlled.

I use my brewery panel to also control a DIY electric smoker. I did separate auto tunes for the two systems. The brewery took 30 minutes and the smoker took 1 hour.

Edit: then I ended up manually adjusting the auto tuned numbers anyway because the system wasn't behaving as well as I wanted.

Ok guys thanks again. This worked great. And now I am addicted. This was way to much fun(giddy like a child) I did already brew with it. Sry for no pics of brewing. But I did get some of the kettle, controller and beer. I think it turned out rather nice! Now to move and do a complete set up when 240v is available.

image-1452623569.jpg

image-3787958530.jpg

image-2810811904.jpg

image-1621490882.jpg

image-3789956416.jpg

image-592489653.jpg

image-303582319.jpg

image-1423424174.jpg

image-4021162257.jpg

Well when I heated my strike water it took about 35 mins to hit temp. Time isn't a big deal for me. The control was great, set it and walk off. My brew day was cut by at least by an hour or more. For the boil I had a portable 8in hot plate. Set it on medium, medium high, and the used the pid on manual mode at 85%. Seem to b the sweet spot, kept a pretty continues boil. At 75% u could see it pluse.

31771d1313342223-can-someone-help-120v-image-1621490882.jpg

This image (I think) shows your input power cord to your control panel.

31774d1313342333-can-someone-help-120v-image-303582319.jpg

This one shows your power inlet on the panel.

I believe you need to change that configuration as it can put you at serious risk. When the cord is plugged into the wall, there is raw power available to touch with your hands on the other end of the cord. That is a Really Bad idea, IMHO.

You should put a standard cord outlet on the end of the cord and then change the panel outlet to a flush male inlet plug configuration.

8036k2-200x125.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8036k2

Wishing you the best.

P-J

Echo that, never leave power on the male end.

What is that you sealed your element with, I haven't sealed my RIMS element yet and that looks pretty good?

I used a 1 1/4 pvc cap,drilled hole for cord. wired the element then used liquid tape to seal the terminals. Then took a 1 1/4 washer over the element threads, soldered the ground to the under side of the washer. jb welded that to the hex on the element. once dried i filled the cap with epoxy and set the element inside the cap( i did have to take carve out a area on the inside of the cap to make room for the ground wire) that makes the washer sit on top of the cap. when the epoxy set i jb welded the washer to the cap. I did not use the black gasket that came with the element.

To pj thanks for looking out for me. I did plan on getting that for the in side, but my dumb a** forgot to order it. So in a pinch i just bought another outlet... I am very carefull when using it. i never unplug the controls in tell its unpluged form the wall. as well as in plugging it in.

Here is a question tho, when i was looking on amazon i saw this plug for 20a 250v. will this work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AUAL0G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or should i go with this one its a bit more put says 120v 20a: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AUQ61O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
To pj thanks for looking out for me. I did plan on getting that for the in side, but my dumb a** forgot to order it. So in a pinch i just bought another outlet... I am very carefull when using it. i never unplug the controls in tell its unpluged form the wall. as well as in plugging it in.

Here is a question tho, when i was looking on amazon i saw this plug for 20a 250v. will this work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AUAL0G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 or should i go with this one its a bit more put says 120v 20a: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AUQ61O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Either one will work for you but I'd get the part that matches the power that you are using so that there is no possibility of mistakes later on. I posted a link for one from Mcmaster as well. You also need the matching cord end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back