Any benefit to multi-step mashing rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any benefit to doing a multi-step mash to a rye beer? Planning to do the "Resurrection 777 IPA" in a couple weeks. Not sure if rye malt would benefit from a protein rest, or if it's good to go with a single infusion.

Any benefit to doing a - GASP! - decoction with this style?

I wish I could tell you, but my rye ESB is still in the secondary, I did do a three step mash, 120 - 135 - 150.

I hope some one can tell me if I was wasting my time:p

NOOOO. An IPA is probably used with english/american grains. You do not step, or ESPECIALLY decoction mash these grains. It will make the beer thin as the malting process already modifies the protiens such that its not beneficial. The rye character is that of subtle nature, so you will get what you need at a regular infusion mash.

Good luck!

the_bird said:
I thought rye malt had a lot of protein and therefore wanted a protein rest....

How much rye are we talking about? If its less than 20% I wouldn't even bother.

Kai

You know, I just looked at the recipe again....

Flaked rye. :rolleyes:

Future reference, though, Kai, you think there might be a benefit if the rye gets to around 20%, but not less? I can't see doing much more than that, I know Dude has a recipe that's more like 30% rye, but that's too potent for my tastes.

the_bird said:
Future reference, though, Kai, you think there might be a benefit if the rye gets to around 20%, but not less? I can't see doing much more than that, I know Dude has a recipe that's more like 30% rye, but that's too potent for my tastes.

The threshold may even be higher than 20%. I checked the Weyermann data sheets for their rye malt, but it doesn't list protein content or even SNR (soluble nitrogen (protein) ratio). As banjopicker mentioned, you may even do more harm then good if you use 2-row as base malt.

Kai

High rye content mashes do well with decoctions. But if you are using flaked rye, it's pre-gelatinized, so no need.

I don't think I have ever had a beer with Rye in it, it sounds very interesting. Can anyone suggest a good commercial beer with rye in it. If I like the taste I may try brewing one.

Thanks

EmptyH said:
I don't think I have ever had a beer with Rye in it, it sounds very interesting. Can anyone suggest a good commercial beer with rye in it. If I like the taste I may try brewing one.

Thanks

There aren't many that I've seen; if you can get your hands on Hop Rod Rye, do so.

the_bird said:
There aren't many that I've seen; if you can get your hands on Hop Rod Rye, do so.

The store near my house has quite a few odd-ball microbrews I will look for that one this weekend. Thanks

Don't expect the obvious rye bread taste. The bread usually has a lot of caraway seed flavor. Rye beer without the caraway has another layer of flavor, a 'spiciness'. Rye was all I did for my first 12 batchs of AG. Add a pound of rice hulls for 2# of rye in the mash. I made brown rye. Lightly hopped. Spicy Newcastles. Been brewin Fat Ass Tired latley, maybe I ought to try some Wryse Ass Tired?

Back