Priming with Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve99

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

2 Questions for you:

Can I prime my brew before bottling with Maple Syrup ?

Did somebody even tryed to add Maple Syrup in primary or secondary to give a little taste of syrup ?

Thanks
Steve

1) I've never done it, but if you could figure out the right sugar ratios between maple syrup and corn sugar, you could do it.

2) However, I wouldn't do it, nor would I add it to the primary or secondary. You can place a pretty safe bet that unsanitized maple syrup is absolutely crawling with all sorts of little organisms that would just love to infect your beer. It's sweet, it's sugar, and wild yeast are sure to be all over it. But if you were to try to sanitize it, you would end up cooking out alot of the flavors that you're looking for. I'd try adding it after flameout, but past that...I'm not sure you could get away with it.

Yes you can prime with it.
I have before and it worked fine. It was a little undercarbonated, I think I used about 1 cup. The tricky part is that the sugar content varies greatly from one batch of maple syrup to the next. It depends on how long the sap was boiled for. Some folks I know boil theirs intentionally less to get a thinner, less sweet syrup.

Anyone know how to measure sugar content when you do not know the starting level?

To get predictable results you would need to know that.

You will still need to boil it in some water first (like you would other priming sugars) to sterilze it. I wil give you some maple flavor, but very subtle. Definately use grade B as it is more intense flavor wise.

(edit) Oh, and I agree with Evan! Definately DO NOT pour unsanitized maple syrup in the secondary (or primary), speaking from experience here...

I think adding it at flame out would probably be best also, or a few minutes before. We are talking real maple syrup here?

Back