Mail Order Mother Arrives!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoki

Reaction score
So my SCOBY from http://kombuchahealthdrink.com/ arrived.

It looks good. About 3" across and a little thicker than 1/8" I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Comes with comic book looking instructions that seem pretty good.

mother.jpg

Looks like they are also selling on ebay for even less.
===>Click for ebay link<===

ok just dropped the mail order mother on to a batch of sweet tea. Let's see how it goes.
--Shoki

ok just dropped the mail order mother on to a batch of sweet tea. Let's see how it goes.
--Shoki

1 week later and I have a slight film over the surface of the tea. It is a little colder than it should be but I think it's close enough... I'll give it another week and see how it's doing.

--Shoki

1 week later and I have a slight film over the surface of the tea. It is a little colder than it should be but I think it's close enough... I'll give it another week and see how it's doing.

--Shoki

That's a second mother forming. If you already have one forming it's a good indicator that your kombucha's ready. You should sample some of it using a sterilized spoon or glass. If it tastes right, bottle it.

Wouldn't I want the second mother to form? This is my first time. I thought a 1/8" to 1/4" new mother would be created during the process.

Wouldn't I want the second mother to form? This is my first time. I thought a 1/8" to 1/4" new mother would be created during the process.

Yes, but you don't need to wait for it to finish forming before you bottle the kombucha. I go about 2 or 3 batches before a new mother completely develops. Base your decision to bottle on how the kombucha tastes as opposed to scoby development.

Well it has a ph of 3 and it tastes pretty darn good. The new SCOBY was thin but surprisingly strong. I out the original SCOBY and new thin mother with 2 cups of kombucha and put that in the fridge.

Can I make 2 batches next time? Is the new thin mother ready to work alone or should I keep them together until the new mother thickens?

Thank you,
--Shoki

Can I make 2 batches next time? Is the new thin mother ready to work alone or should I keep them together until the new mother thickens?

Thank you,
--Shoki

Yeah I am thinking this is not rocket science. If it doesn't mold or become too acid to drink it's going to be fine. I threw them both in.

--Shoki

This batch is good and sweet and grew quite a nice thick mother. Not sure I am going to keep brewing. What's next? Cider?

Back