Munich SMaSH, what's the best hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Those of you who have done a SMaSH with Munich, what was the best hop pairing with that base malt. Please discuss.

Magnum, Northern brewer (love Vienna/NB btw), Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe. I think that covers most of what I have, but I'm not against getting something else. This is research for a future brew. Thanks to all with input.

I did a saaz/munich smash. It was fantastic. Tettnang sounds like a good option as well. I would stick with a noble variety.

There's a lot of Willamette around these days... that'd be good, though. Citra's pretty rough on it's own, I think- I've taken to using it in small proportions with other hops, as it brings great stuff to the party, but is kind of an ******* if you let it get carried away.

I like the Tett idea if you're buying something new, and Willamette or Amarillo if you're not.

Magnum, Northern brewer (love Vienna/NB btw), Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe. I think that covers most of what I have, but I'm not against getting something else. This is research for a future brew. Thanks to all with input.

Well, if you want a German-ish beer, use the northern brewer. If you want an IPA/APA, use centennial/cascade/simcoe/amarillo. Munich malt is a very malty malt (does that make sense?) and it's not common for IPAs but it makes a very nice malty backbone for a beer hopped up with American hops!

I was thinking about making another Vienna/NB SMaSH cause it's fantastic, but then I got to thinking about what munich would be like as the base malt. I know a few people have tried some things, so I was just curious what has worked. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em comin'!

Here's one I did that many thought was very good:
10LB. Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
14.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 21.7 IBU
14.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
14.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
21.00 gm Chinook [11.00 %] (0 min) Hops

Mashed at 152

Back