Anyone Ever Use Riwaka Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuesy

Reaction score
I've been given a few ounces of these Hops. Aside from the fact they're from New Zealand and they're similar to the "C" hops, I don't know much about them.

Anyone ever use them? And if so, for what? I'm thinking of making a 2-row SMaSH with them.

Good idea on the 2-row SMaSH as that will give you a good idea of their taste.

I'm making a NZ IPA this upcoming weekend with Green Bullet to bitter and Riwaka for aroma. We'll see how it goes.

Irrenartz, any recipe you could share? Even just some ideas of the ingredients?

Matthew, interesting that you used the Riwaka early in the boil and the NS later. But hey, if it works... Thanks for sharing the recipe. I just may have to give it a try.

A kit I purchased a while back from Austin Homebrew used Riwaka hops. That's how I learned of them. I really liked the smell as soon as I opened the packet of pellets. I've been wanting to brew with them again.

I brewed AHS Riwaka Red and dry-hopped with an additional ounce of Riwaka. There's no word for Riwaka other than kumquat.

My lhbs guy was telling me about riwaka beeing pretty good, seems all nz hops are high alpha, but smooth. I just drank my 2nd bottle of my brew, with A lil nelson sauvin/simcoe mix, I think it is the best ipa ive ever done, alcohol is on the lower side of a real ipa.

I live in New Zealand and the LHBS never has any. Its rubbish apparently so stop buying it. In fact send it my way so it can be disposed of properly... One day I'll get to make that Riwaka and Nelson Sauvin NZPA I've been dreaming of.

My boy used a Drake Extract kit,and replaced their hops with Cascade,Citra,Riwaka and Simcoe Hops.BEST IPA iv`e ever had!!!!

Back