2nd batch done...what a nightmare!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Well, just brewed my second batch. First batch went perfect. :rockin: Second batch...not so much :(.

First, turns out SWMBO scrubbed my primary out with some dawn and the kitchen sponge. So I posted here if it was shot. It didn't feel scratched, still smelled like beer, so I figured what the hell, oxyclean it, then sanatize, and give it a shot.

So here's hope #1: That the primary wasn't shot, and won't infect my beer.

Then, as I'm boiling I overfill my pot, and get some boilover. First time that happened. MAN, did that SUCK! I spend about 2 hours scrubbing everything and letting it all dry.

Hope #2: That the gas range lights later and the tips aren't clogged with wort. :D

Then I'm pitching my yeast (White Labs London Ale) without a starter (didn't think I would brew today, so did it on a whim), and I dropped the bottle in the fermenter. Had to fish it out with the stirrer.

Hope #3: That its fine without the starter, and that dropping the vial and cap in won't ruin the beer either.

Finally, I take my gravity reading. Write it down, mix the wort up a bit and decide to take a second one just in case. Turn around and my dog sneaks a lick directly in the primary.

Hope #4: Dog saliva is not a major concern to yeast. :D

Finally, I seal up the primary, set it up stairs, look through it, and notice that I really have closer to 5.75 gallons in there, instead of 5. I now realize I only have about 3" of headspace.

Hope #4: That there's enough headspace and I won't wake up to SWMBO beating me as she yells "there's beer all over the carpet!" :D

I figure if nothing eventful happens to this batch (minus the stove boilover epic casatrophy), then I'll pretty much be set for any other beer I brew. :cross: :D

Time to crack open a bottle of my first brew. :D

Wow, way to have so many issues with a single brew. Most of us like to keep our mishaps to just one or two per brew, but you've gone above and beyond :D

I'd say there's a 95% chance of getting a great beer. I don't want to put any predictions on SWMBO reactions. You're on your own :p

brew days can turn out to be hellish. if anything i think your beer will turn out fine. i would hook up a blowoff tube just in case cause cleaning beer off the ceiling is not fun.

Wow, way to have so many issues with a single brew. Most of us like to keep our mishaps to just one or two per brew, but you've gone above and beyond :D

I'd say there's a 95% chance of getting a great beer. I don't want to put any predictions on SWMBO reactions. You're on your own :p

I always try to go above and beyond the norm. :D

brew days can turn out to be hellish. if anything i think your beer will turn out fine. i would hook up a blowoff tube just in case cause cleaning beer off the ceiling is not fun.

I was thinking about it....only problem is I don't have enough hose, so I'll just have to watch very carefully since the LHBS is only open weekdays...:)

I'm guessing the ABV is going to come out to about 6.66% on that one

:D Probably.

And I just found out the small siphon tube fits both in the grommet in pace of the airlock, or in the center of the airlock (the center stem in the airlock, hard to describe). Which way should I put it in to maximize the minimization of changing the color of my cieling? :D

Also, is it ok to keep that hose at the 4' or whatever length it is and just set the growler filled wit sanitizing solution on the floor?

seems like everytime I make a starter I boil over. You'd think I'd learn by now. I can't imagine boiling over on a 5 gallon batch.

If the beer turns out you can call it Dog Breath.

I've had my dog lick my stir spoon too many times to recall, but never had his head in the fermenter.

Stuff happens. I wonder how many fewer homebrewers there would be if we all our worst brew day the first time we brewed. He also likes to lick my grain bag. I usually do Brew in a Bag.

This is why you had a perfect first batch. There were a set number of miscues that have to be performed and you were clever enough to do them all in one batch rather than spreading them out over the course of four or five batches. ;)

The dog is the one that cracks me up the most but I'm going to guess that you'll be alright.

Finally, I seal up the primary, set it up stairs, look through it, and notice that I really have closer to 5.75 gallons in there, instead of 5. I now realize I only have about 3" of headspace.

Hope #4: That there's enough headspace and I won't wake up to SWMBO beating me as she yells "there's beer all over the carpet!" :D

Well, you could live on the edge like some like to do, or save yourself the rolled up newspaper treatment by running a hose from the primary into a bucket. But that's not as fun as watching a beer fountain and look on said SWMBO's face when you tell her to clean it up.

Also, is it ok to keep that hose at the 4' or whatever length it is and just set the growler filled wit sanitizing solution on the floor?

That's what I do for the first couple days. After I see how aggressive the fermentation is going to be, I either keep the blow off setup for a few more days or I put on the regular air lock. Haven't had any issues with it yet. If you want to be extra careful, probaby unnecessarily careful, pick up one of those plastic shoe tray things from Lowes or wherever... the ones made to put snowy shoes on. I think they probably run about $5. Set your primary on that.

02fx4dude, Its too early in his brewing career to get this guy beat by the household commander. Mine didn't go ballistic on me until batch 4.

I wouldn't put fermenting beer on carpet.

Unfinished basement is too cold right now...and all the other rooms besides the kitchen are carpeted. So I'm SOL.

Well, you could live on the edge like some like to do, or save yourself the rolled up newspaper treatment by running a hose from the primary into a bucket. But that's not as fun as watching a beer fountain and look on said SWMBO's face when you tell her to clean it up.

Yeah, I setup a blowoff tube. Decided that my curiosity to see how powerful blowing the lid off a primary is, is super-ceded by the idea of the azz whooping I'd get to witness that.

That's what I do for the first couple days. After I see how aggressive the fermentation is going to be, I either keep the blow off setup for a few more days or I put on the regular air lock. Haven't had any issues with it yet. If you want to be extra careful, probaby unnecessarily careful, pick up one of those plastic shoe tray things from Lowes or wherever... the ones made to put snowy shoes on. I think they probably run about $5. Set your primary on that.

02fx4dude, Its too early in his brewing career to get this guy beat by the household commander. Mine didn't go ballistic on me until batch 4.

Batch 4...you mean it only get WORSE? :D:p

Back