Opinions on extracts - makers and $$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktarbell

Reaction score
I started extract brewing in the late 80s using mail order extracts from Williams and some canned extracts (Munton, Edme, etc). Stopped in about 2000 - no time and young kids. Now I'm getting back into it and the $$ of extracts is almost double.

So, I'm looking for thoughts about:
[1] Domestic VS import extracts
[2] Good - preferred brands
[3] Good mail / web order shops

Thanks!

KT

My thoughts:

[1] Depends on the style, but generally domestic extracts are going to be fresher than imports and you can get quite a variety of domestic extracts that you would normally use an import for (e.g. Munich and pilsener extracts).
[2] I like Briess and William's extracts. Briess you can get from many places (More Beer, Northern Brewer, Midwest) and William's you get from William's.
[3] Northern Brewer, Midwest, William's, and sometimes More Beer. I've never used Austin Homebrew yet, but I've heard they're great.

Welcome back to brewing!

-Steve

I've moved to all-grain, but while I was extract brewing I moved completely away from liquid extract and used all dry extract whenever possible. I had good results with Briess and Munton's. I almost always used extra light extract.

I haven't checked recently, but I know people have often mentioned DMEmart.com as having the best DME prices of the typical retail operations, though you have to buy in 18# increments (for about $65, free shipping). A few months ago I got a 50# bag of Briess Golden Light DME for about $102 as part of a pallet buy through Missouri Malt Supply out of St. Louis. You might be able to find something similar - maybe a local homebrew club?

I am a big fan (and prob the only on the board) of the Cooper's hopped extract kits. With hops at $3-4 an ounce it's a pretty good savings. Sure they kind of all taste the same, but as long as you avoid infection, and age and carb them well they kind of taste how they are supposed, but are obviously NOT the real thing.

3.75# runs $18 and comes with yeast

A few months ago I bought 50# of Briess Light DME for $120 delivered. Got it from The Country Malt Group. I bought a dog food container, and it held all 50#s. Breaks down to $2.40/lb which is a lot less than the $3.99/lb+ plus shipping that most of the online places charge. I put a container of silica in there with it and it hasn't crusted or clumped up and I'm through about 35#s of it. Not sure how often you brew or how serious you are but this was a good investment for me.

Johnnyc - How did you approach Country Malt? Did you go to the trouble of calling them for the password to view their online price list and info?

if you get pre hopped malt from across the ocean, its always wise to replace the yeast. since they were likely in shipment a long time in storage containers, the temp may have gotten too hot for the yeast to survive. you may not need to, but why chance it?

if you get pre hopped malt from across the ocean, its always wise to replace the yeast. since they were likely in shipment a long time in storage containers, the temp may have gotten too hot for the yeast to survive. you may not need to, but why chance it?

Good point. Also, you can save that yeast too to aid in priming of lagers.

Back