American Wheat Beer Litehaus Wheat (Boulevard Wheat Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
msa8967 said:
Can you post the recipe you followed for making this wheat with the late hop additions? I am looking to make a 5 gallon version of this recipe for the second half of summer.

Sorry for the way late reply here. I just used the regular recipe, it turned out great. In fact, I just made it again, it's the first recipe I've made twice. This time I used wyeasts American wheat yeast since I wanted a less neutral beer. Bottled it a couple nights ago, so I'll let ya know how that one turned out!

Did you use the original recipe or a modified version? If modified would you post what you may have changed?

I used the original recipie, but still having issues dailing in my system after moving so ended up about a gallon short after the boil so it was a little stronger.

I'm gonna be brewing this tomorrow, but couldn't find the simco hops anywhere so I'm gonna use galena instead, anyone have any thoughts on how that will turn out?

sorefingers23 said:
I'm gonna be brewing this tomorrow, but couldn't find the simco hops anywhere so I'm gonna use galena instead, anyone have any thoughts on how that will turn out?

Galena is a sister to columbus so it will different. Since you will be using it in the 5 min addition you don't need the high alpha acid content! you could use something equivalent to simcoe in the aroma department Mt hood is a very under rated hop for it's aroma. I highly recommend trying Mt Hood! Galena is a hop lacking in the flavor department what else do you have around? You could use galena to bitter and use mag for the rest.

I have galena, hallertau and fuggles on hand, I wasn't able to brew today, but will be brewing tomorrow with one of these hops in place of simco... I'm taking suggestions.

I would use the fuggles unless the hallertauer is tradition than I would use those. you can't go wrong with either you won't get the flavor or aroma you want from galena.

FYI for those that may be checking this out every so often, I used Wyeast's Kolsch yeast on this beer, and it was fantastic!

I'm thinking about doing this and subbing Motueka for one of the late additions... Any thoughts?

Just ordered everything to make this. Really looking forward to it.

Now I need to burn through some pipeline to have room... Cheers!

So, I think I'm gonig to dry-hop this. I'm thinking half an ounce or an ounce in 5 gallons of one of the following:

Motueka
Sorachi
Zythos

Any thoughts?

How much effect do you think omitting such a small amount of honey malt would have? Maybe I'll pick some up, but I don't keep honey malt on hand.

If you have any Caramel 10, C-20, C-40L laying around, any of those would be an okay substitute (since it's only 4oz->5.5gal or 8oz->11gal). Caravienne, or some Munich, could also work.

None of these will be exactly the same - Honey malt adds a certain sweetness that most malts do not - but especially a Caramel 10*L or 20*L would be the closest fit...

Thanks for reminding me this recipe is out here. BM has so many good recipes that I spend too much time and pay attention to one, and forget about another! I will have to put this on my brew list.

Just tested a sample of this. Came in at 1.008 from 1.043 , 4.39%. Tasted great. Made this last weekend, how early can I transfer this to the keg and carb? Tastes like it could be tapped now.

Just tested a sample of this. Came in at 1.008 from 1.043 , 4.39%. Tasted great. Made this last weekend, how early can I transfer this to the keg and carb? Tastes like it could be tapped now.

10-14 days fermenter time, then straight to the keg/chiller, carb up at 30PSI for 36 hours and tap it.

Wheats are meant to be drunk fresh. :mug:

Looking to convert this to a 5-gal BIAB recipe. Anyone have any tips? I have a 10-gal pot so not sure if I quite I have the space.

Ok. I'm a fan of bier munchers recipes. So I'm gonna go with this one. Question for anyone who has made this. Could I sub a little Vienna malt for the two row? I also would like to pitch one carboy of us05 and one wyeast German ale....if that would work. Please let me know.

Ok. I'm a fan of bier munchers recipes. So I'm gonna go with this one. Question for anyone who has made this. Could I sub a little Vienna malt for the two row? I also would like to pitch one carboy of us05 and one wyeast German ale....if that would work. Please let me know.

Vienna would be a good addition. Lend a little more malt backbone to this recipe.

Vienna would be a good addition. Lend a little more malt backbone to this recipe.

Well the brew went well did 12 gallon split batch. Subbed vienna for 50 percent of the two row. Bittered fwh with perele. Finished with .5 oz of Nelson savin at 7 minutes and .5 oz of Nelson and 1 oz amarillo at flameout. The German ale yeast I used must not have been viable.....I siding see any action after 28 hours in it so I pitched a pack of bry97. The us05 is chugging along at 66. The German ale/bry97 is now going crazy. Should have about 18 ibus....again I'm not an American wheat fan but I know this as well as cotc pleases the masses. Don't worry I have four cronies of ipa for myself. Party is may 18 just outside of Springfield il if anyone's near enough to drop by.

I'll be making this on Friday during a double brew day. I'm going to use Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) and plan to dry hop it to make a more hoppy wheat.

Any suggestions on what to dry hop with?

I'll be making this on Friday during a double brew day. I'm going to use Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) and plan to dry hop it to make a more hoppy wheat.

Any suggestions on what to dry hop with?

That's funny. I live in kc also and a buddy and I just split an11 gallon batch of a similar wheat beer
I am also looking to dry hop and was wondering what I should use. I want a hoppy wheat beer. Sort of like the boulevard 80 acre

That's funny. I live in kc also and a buddy and I just split an11 gallon batch of a similar wheat beer
I am also looking to dry hop and was wondering what I should use. I want a hoppy wheat beer. Sort of like the boulevard 80 acre

80 Acre is a solid beer, but I think it could be better with a different dry hop. Something about just isn't right to my palate.

I'm not sure what I'm going to use, but I'll probably use something I already have on hand.

80 Acre is a solid beer, but I think it could be better with a different dry hop. Something about just isn't right to my palate.

I'm not sure what I'm going to use, but I'll probably use something I already have on hand.

I'm thinking Amarillo.

Wow.....had a party and four different beers including an amber ale that scores in the 40s This one disappeared first, thanks muncher.

Hey, I did your cream ale and wheat for a party I had last weekend. They disappeared quickly. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for posting, testing on Boulevard lovers, and for the details. Boulevard and Lucky Bucket are two of my favorite wheat beers, been looking for a clone, planning a trip to my local for ingredients for my next brew day. One of my carboys opens up in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am going to brew an extract version of this. I don't have the capability to do AG in the winter yet.

I converted it in Beersmith and it gave me 5.5lbs of wheat extract and a quarter lb of C20. I would like to use honey malt as well, would steeping .25 lbs of honey malt work in an extract version?

Just wanted to add my experience with this recipe. Brewed a 5 gallon version of this on 3/1, racked to secondary on 3/10 (I was not patient and the kegerator was empty.. cold crashed 3/12, and kegged 3/13 (force carb’d 25PSI shake method for 2 mins). This does not taste great until after about 3 days in the keg. A week later and it is fantastic, and absolutely on the brew again list. I used Wyeast 1272 (wanted to try something I have never used before). OG was 1.048, dropped to 1.007. I did not use the flameout Cascade. A couple of friends did a blind tasting of this and actually thought it was better than BLVD Wheat, despite the higher ABV. This is an extremely sessionable and a very nice refreshing wheat. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

(Sorry the photo is sideways, not sure how to fix that)

image.jpg

I brewed this for my daughters graduation (from college) party and there were about 35 people (mostly family) invited. I had two kegs of this recipe and two kegs of my Litehaus Spice on tap. I also bought 2 30-packs of BMC for the BMC drinkers.

Turns out, I didn’t need to buy any commercial beer. People were lined up at the taps all afternoon. Even the girls who will only occasionally sip on a beer, absolutely loved the Boulevard Wheat. I didn’t advertise it as a Boulevard clone but several family members (in from Kansas City), commented that it tasted a lot like their favorite beer…Boulevard Wheat.

I stayed away from a definitive wheat yeast and went with a Safale-05. The taste was light and crisp and a bit more carbonated than a normal ale. I think the 1/2 ounce of cascade at flameout really gave it a nice, refreshing tone. By the middle of the evening, I was down to just a couple pints left in the second keg. By that time, people had shifted over to my Litehaus Spice for a change.

This one was a definite crowd pleaser.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
View attachment 2198
Estimated IBU: 17.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

View attachment 2152

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Simco Hops [12.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)

SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)

Mashed in at 155 degrees for 70 minutes. I did use Irish Moss, knowing the wheat malt would suspend anyway and I was shooting for a bright hazy beer, not a darker cloudy beer. Turned out great. Very light in color and just a hint of haze. Very “commercial wheat” looking.

I'm going to give this a shot. This is a very smooth brew. Thanks for all the information. :)

We finished off the first 5 gallons a few weeks ago. It came out very good I followed the recipe exactly as written. Everyone loved it. I dry hopped the second 5 gallons with 1 oz of Cascade. Tasted tonight and it is awesome. Even better than the original. Nice Citrus bite at the end!

:mug:

It will finish a bit sweeter. Probably fine. You could add some yeast known for higher attenuation if it finished too high for you.

Boiling this one up as I type. First wheat beer and I'm really looking forward to it!

Brewed this and served it at a local fest our homebrew club does every year. Blind side by side with BLVD wheat and two Pro brewers chose mine as the BLVD, three others choose correct but stated they liked this version better. Very nice recipe.

I emailed Boulevard to get their ratio's and hops,
was told:

65% pale malt
15% wheat
20% flaked wheat

47C and rest for 7 minutes
59C - 30 minutes
63C - 7 minutes
73C - 15 minutes
mash off at 78C

70 minute boil.

bravo 5.2 IBU's @60 minutes
Zues 6 IBU's @ 60 miniutes
Summit 1.2 IBU's @ 60 minutes

Cool to 19C and pitch house ale strain. ferment at 19C until reaching 7 Plato, then up temp to 23C for the remainder of the fermentation...

I brewed this about a month ago per the OP, but swapped warrior instead of magnum and mosiac instead of simcoe based on what I had around.

We taped and kicked the keg rapidly last night at a party. Once again BierMuncher delivers! The beer crisp, light, and totally quaffable. Even the people who 'dont like beer,' were going back for more. It has a nice subtle wheat and grain backbone, perfectly balanced by light American hops (it probably would have been better with the recommended hops). It is slightly hazy and has a puffy white head that and leaves nice lace and looks appetizing. This is a fantastic American Wheat and I will be making it again soon. Thanks BierMuncher for another killer beer!

Back