Meat + wine + carboy = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hhhaaaa! Just crossed my mind. What happens if after primary when you use a dry hop style method and through in some bacon under an airlock for flavor, then rack off in about 2 weeks?

Do you get sick or worse?

Ruin the wine?

Does anyone know?

mrbeachroach said:
Hhhaaaa! Just crossed my mind. What happens if after primary when you use a dry hop style method and through in some bacon under an airlock for flavor, then rack off in about 2 weeks?

Do you get sick or worse?

Ruin the wine?

Does anyone know?

I suppose if you sanitize the bacon, you'll get some flavor.....

You could try using cooked bacon and infusing some vodka with it to use. I don't think you'd want the actual bacon to go into the wine due to the fats that you'll get too.

You could try using cooked bacon and infusing some vodka with it to use. I don't think you'd want the actual bacon to go into the wine due to the fats that you'll get too.

Beat me to it!!!!! My first though at the title was infusing vodka!!!!

From there, maybe using a small amount and mixing it with a finished wine (in a glass of course) as a sampling.... (As I yell 'honey, get the glasses out, I got an idea I wanna try...) Haha!!!

Beat me to it!!!!! My first though at the title was infusing vodka!!!!

From there, maybe using a small amount and mixing it with a finished wine (in a glass of course) as a sampling.... (As I yell 'honey, get the glasses out, I got an idea I wanna try...) Haha!!!

Just imagine what ELSE you could use the bacon infused vodka (or other alcohol) in... :drunk: :D

So I guess there is some truth to the Buffalo Wild Wings commercial? Bratwurst Beer and Bacon Wine.

Have you had Rouge's Voodoo maple bacon beer?

Nasty stuff and I love bacon.
Don't do it man!!

Don't go dissin' bacon there kitty. :eek:

BTW, has anyone else seen the episode of triple D where the bar made bacon infused bourbon/whiskey? :D

I don't drink bourbon, but if I did, it would be bacon infused. [via the Dos Equis most interesting man] :drunk:

Golddiggie said:
Just imagine what ELSE you could use the bacon infused vodka (or other alcohol) in... :drunk: :D

I'm thinking bacon would go well with a sweet mead or a port.... Mmmnnnn baaaacccoonnn!

I've never done it with wine, but a couple of years ago Midfielder5 sent me a "dryporked porter". No lie.

It was actually very good! I'm not exactly sure how she did it, but it seems like she cooked the bacon very crisp, blotted it (to soak up the fat) and added it to the secondary.

BTW, has anyone else seen the episode of triple D where the bar made bacon infused bourbon/whiskey? :D

I don't drink bourbon, but if I did, it would be bacon infused. [via the Dos Equis most interesting man] :drunk:
I made a bottle of bacon infused Maker's Mark for New Year's a few years ago. I didn't think it was really worth the effort.

I'm imagining a semi sweet cinnamon apple wine, conditioned with cooked, dried applewood-smoked bacon for a month or two prior to bottling, back sweetened with maple syrup.

Screw mimosas, that is a brunch in and of itself.

I almost commented when I first saw this thread. I refrained because I couldn't tell if it was a troll post or not...lol. I guess everyone has their own tastes! But, sounds gross to me. Report the results back when you got em!

There was an April Fools meat thread on here a while ago....the idea is intrigueing, and I second those that are saying to make a vodka infusion and add that--be carefull of the fats...

Unferth--that actually sounds almost good.

On a side note, has anyone actually tried the commercial bacon vodka? Haven't seen the bacon stuff in stores, but they do sell Smoked Salmon vodka up here.

Dude, I'm so happy this thread is still going! I am actually serious. But the more you encourage and provoke me, the more I'm getting gutsy on the idea. I defiantly want to try some of these ideas.

The thought of Italian pepper cooking wine sounded super good to me.

Peppers
Garlic
Onion
And Italian sausage.

Or a Philly wine!

Also just wondering what's the concerns on the fats? Seams like to me, that fats or oil on water would float and could be racked off.

If you have the setup, you could chill before racking/transferring, so that the fat becomes more solid and floats to the top. Sort of like how it tends to do in soups. :D Or if you use a vessel with a large opening for that stage, you could just scoop it off. Just stay a hair above freezing, so that only the fat is extracted/removed.

Heck--you can buy Italian Sausage Seasoning, for that one--might want to watch the salt though.
I vote for baking the bacon to render out as much of the fats as possible before adding it, and then hopefully getting the remainder out with cold crashing.

Also just wondering what's the concerns on the fats? Seams like to me, that fats or oil on water would float and could be racked off.

No, you'd think so but it doesn't happen like that.

At a National Homebrewers Conference, one of the HBT crew gave me some bacon moonshine.

It smelled great, and was nice and clear white. It tasted great.

And then it happened. The fat in it, that I couldn't see, congealed on the back of my throat. And I gagged.

Up until then, it was fine.

You could try making a small amount of wort from hickory smoked malt and adding that.

I found Rogue Voodoo to be horrific, but a local brewery here makes a hickory porter called Hogwash that tastes wonderful. Straight up bacon and smoked BBQ pork.
The secret may be that they smoke the malt themselves.

Remember that fat is a hydrocarbon that is organic-soluble. And it may float in water, but you're adding fats to an alcohol/water solution. Ethanol is a hydrocarbon as well, and will likely allow the fats to dissolve into the solution. Creating the clear liquid that congeals in your throat like Yooper described.

And then it happened. The fat in it, that I couldn't see, congealed on the back of my throat. And I gagged.

Latest posts

Back