Ranco ETC-111000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one for my E-HLT. I'll likely replace it in the future cause you're limited to a 1500W element. But it definitely worked. Not going to cut it for a boil kettle, but using it with a 1500 W element for a HLT it will be fine. You'd want to purchase a submersible probe at the time of ordering, or build a thermowell for you pot.

Two elements will over damage a Ranco. it's only rated for 16A. a Single 1500W element will draw 12.5A. No room for another on a single 120V circuit. You could run both if they're on separate circuits, but for a BK, you don't need temp control. You just need ON. You could maybe use 2 to get it to boil, then turn one off/unplug one. Not sure if a single 1500W would maintain your boil, but you can run a 2000W Element on a standard 20A Home circuit. That would draw 16.7A You could possibly run this through a Ranco, but be aware it's only rated for 16A if it dies on you. I'd have no issues with doing it myself though.

Yep. Only planning on one of the elements on the ranco. Thought one element on continously and the other temp controlled would allow me to adjust temp. Shouldn't have said BK. I brew in a bag with a cooler, so my BK is also my HLT. So I need to dial in strike, sparge and then boil temp in one kettle.

Have any experience with 220 volt wiring? I have an outlet near where I brew, but don't know the easiest way to get a GFCI somewhere in the circuit. Is there a GFCI you could plug into the existing plug or should find and install a new outlet?

It's also good to note that if the Ranco is measuring temperature, it will not be able to control how hard the boil is. Just barely boiling, and hammering, roiling boil are different amounts of BTU in, but the same liquid temperature.

Yep. Only planning on one of the elements on the ranco. Thought one element on continously and the other temp controlled would allow me to adjust temp. Shouldn't have said BK. I brew in a bag with a cooler, so my BK is also my HLT. So I need to dial in strike, sparge and then boil temp in one kettle.

For the HLT, I'd put one on the Ranco and one just plugged in. Once up to temp leave the ranco one in and unplug, then remove the other one. The single one on the temp controller will maintain temps just fine. I'd put some sort of stirrer on there as well.

As far as 220, I would start researching or hire an electrician. It can kill you fast. Not that 120 and 16A won't kill you, but 220V and 30-50A will kill you quicker.

Back