Modifying a malt extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimjim

Reaction score
I've only been brewing with extract kits (cans). I've heard if you use liquid malt extract instead of dextrose you can create a better beer. I'm just curious how much I should use and can I just buy a second kit (a light beer) and use that. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest getting better kits. There are several online shops that sell super high quality kits. Austin Homebrew and Morebeer are my favorites. Try some kits from one of them

Honestly, dry extract is the way to go. I'd suggest reading howtobrew.com and learning more about different extracts and their gravity contributions. Also, check out a program like Beer Tools Pro, ProMash, BeerSmith, etc. These programs will help you build recipes so you'll know what you're getting out of each extract without having to think about it.

Nothing wrong with using LME, just stay away from the ancient canned stuff. Some of the sites like those mentioned above sell kits that they put together using fresh LME. Avoid anything that says something along the lines of "Empty can in hot water. Add sugar. Bottle soon."

Nothing wrong with using LME, just stay away from the ancient canned stuff. Some of the sites like those mentioned above sell kits that they put together using fresh LME. Avoid anything that says something along the lines of "Empty can in hot water. Add sugar. Bottle soon."

+1 I've made some fantastic beer with liquid extract. If the LME is fresh, it's just as good as DME. The stuff I get from morebeer and AHB is top notch extract and super fresh. If your making your own recipes, morebeer has the best prices on super fresh LME.

I've only been brewing with extract kits (cans). I've heard if you use liquid malt extract instead of dextrose you can create a better beer. I'm just curious how much I should use and can I just buy a second kit (a light beer) and use that. Thanks in advance.

The Aussies call the method of using two kit [canned] beers a "toucan". You can make some interesting brews this way, especially if you use cans of differant styles. One time I used a Black Rock stout and an Olde Ale kit from Muntons [at least I think it was Muntons]. I guess you could call that an Olde Stout. Whatever it was, it was very tasty!

I guess I worded that wrong. You guys are right...there's absolutely nothing wrong with LME. I made a lot of my first beers with it and they turned out great.

I guess I worded that wrong. You guys are right...there's absolutely nothing wrong with LME. I made a lot of my first beers with it and they turned out great.

And on the same note, there's nothing wrong with DME either. There's some good kits out that use DME exclusively as well. If you can't get fresh LME, then DME is the way to go.

I ended up buying a can of coopers ale, and a bag of muntons med DME (I think). Its been foaming pretty intense (more so then previous batches I have made). Next batch I make I think i might try the toucan method. Cheers thanks for the help.

The one thing to watch out for, if both cans are pre-hopped you'll have more bittering than you might want.

Some people think this is impossible, though.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this. As of today we are selling very fresh LME is any quantity you want. We have only done canned up until today. I am in the process of updating all of my extract recipes on the website, but anyone can change anything you want on any recipe on our website. All of our new "Exact Quantity" liquid extracts are selling for $2.75 a pound.

Thanks,

Ed

Latest posts

Back