Hops ruining my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvinfan1

Reaction score
I recently kegged an IPA, but haven't gotten that great hops aroma I'm used to. After about two weeks in the keg, I decided to add a 1/2 ounce of Cascade pellets to the keg. Looking back, I should've put them in a hop sack, but what's done is done. It's been a week and my beer is green and grainy. I've definitely got the hop aroma, but it's like drinking crushed hops ale. Is there anything I can do to save this keg of beer?:confused:

you could try adding a little gelatin. Just get the beer as cold as your fridge will get it, boil some water, cool it, add 1 packet of gelatin until it is all dissolved. Release pressure on the keg, pour it in and gently stir with a sanitized spoon, be careful not to oxygenate the beer. Let it sit for 3-5 days with 30 psi pressure. Then release pressure and you are going to want to cut about 1/2" off the dip tube, since you probly won't be able to rack it to another keg because it's already carbonated. Or just know that the first couple of pours will be thick and chuncky. Good Luck!

Eastside

maybe pull the dip tube on the (out) side up, and put some kind
of screen, or filter in it so it will keep it from passing through.
That, or perhaps you chould transfer this to another keg through
a siphon leaving behind the trash.

My guess is that gelatin will not have any effect.

I think it should settle out over a couple weeks at which time you could rack off of it............

I have used gelatin with great success, even with carbonated beer. Cold crashing the beer is great, but once the bubbles start it gets messy! Every time you push the co2 it stirs up the muck. Trust me, Gelatin is the answer but you must be carefull. Get it as cold as possible and let it stay there for a couple of days, racking carbonated beer is a mistake, you will oxygenate it. Cut or bend your dip tube or get extra corny kegs as bright tanks! just my .02!!

Eastside

A sanitized hop sack tied to the end of the dip tube works. Use a sanitized zip tie.

I have used gelatin with great success, even with carbonated beer. Cold crashing the beer is great, but once the bubbles start it gets messy! Every time you push the co2 it stirs up the muck. Trust me, Gelatin is the answer but you must be carefull. Get it as cold as possible and let it stay there for a couple of days, racking carbonated beer is a mistake, you will oxygenate it. Cut or bend your dip tube or get extra corny kegs as bright tanks! just my .02!!

Eastside

For hops???

Get the large stainless herb ball from Austin Home brew. It rocks. It's easy to use, clean , and sanitize so you can use it again and again.

sanitise a pantyhose try on sock, like the disposible ones they give you at the shoe store. (New of course)

wrap it at the bottom of your dip tube with a silicone rubber band, or a stainless hose clamp.

works like a charm.......ive done it before.

In the future used a sanitised cheesecloth hop bag weighted down with a sanitised glass marble inside. you can even attach it to the lid with light weight fishing line. if the line gets too thick the lid wont seal.

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back