Making star-san with adjusted water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
Instead of distilled water is there a way to adjust tap water for a 5 gal bucket of Star-San? It sucks buying distilled but it's the only water that will last without clouding up from high ph?

My well water is double filtered with a whole house filter but even after changing the cartridges there are still too high of a mineral content so it clouds. If I use my R/O water its fine for about a month or a little longer.

You don't have to use distilled water -- reverse osmosis (RO) water works as well, and it is generally cheaper.

If that is still too expensive for you, then boil your tap water for 15 mins, let it cool overnight, and carefully rack off the water leaving behind an inch or so (along with the precipitated sediment) will help. It won't be as good as de-ionized water, but you may find it acceptable.

I guess I'm luckier than I thought... my tap water (which is not RO or anything special like that, to my knowledge) makes starsan solution that lasts for months without clouding. In fact, it has never gotten cloudy on me from storage alone, because after a few months I usually toss it even if it's still clear and pH<3, just to be on the safe side.

For the times when the starsan get cloudy, what is the rule again to bring it back up to full capability... a few drops...?
(I always forget to use distilled water...:()

Anybody happy (or not) with the add-a-few-drops technique...?

I have crappy hard water that makes star-san go cloudy immediately.... I also have a water-softener that makes it so star-san lasts for months without getting cloudy. If you have any friends in your area with a water-softener ask them to have some water.

my star san is instantly cloudy. i keep it around for weeks, and I've had no infection issues.

just becuase its cloudy doesn't mean its not working. test the pH. if its still good...its good!

Latest posts

Back