Heat Sink Really Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
Looking into installing a Solid State Relay 25A and POT to control a 120v 1500w Hot Water Heating Element.

As it is currently, the element produces a nice boil but the boil is so violent that it bubbles over sometimes. Need to control the heat or get a larger kettle, but if I go the latter it defeats my plan.

So do I really need to include a heatsink?

Much Obliged!

WW

You SHOULD use a heatsink of some sort on the SSR. It may be able to operate without it, as you will only be pulling about 12.5A(50% rated capacity)but its lifespan will be diminished if running at elevated temperatures for any period of time. Even something as simple a mounting it to a metal enclosure will dissipate heat by providing more surface area for that heat to be removed.

What exactly are you doing with the pot?

You may be having a conceptual failure regarding how SSR's work. They can only be fully-on or fully-off. You are going to need some extra circuitry to go with that pot.

No, you don't need a heatsink.

Later on, you can start a thread titled "My SSR failed! Guess I should have used a heatsink!"

Back