Moving to Arizona within 2 years - What's it like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subsailor

Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody is familiar with the area: Most likely the Sedona/Jerome, basically around the Prescott Valley area. Wife is finally fed up with our long cold winters here. She spent most of December with her family in Arizona and I went down for the last 10 days of her visit. She was hooked on the area where her parents are out West of Wickenburg but I don't think I could survive the summer time heat.
I'll be 55 unless we move sooner and I'll be eligible for my State Pension minus healthcare (70% disabled Vet, VA takes care of me). I collect my Military pension and that covers my home, property tax and home insurance up here.
We are looking for something rural, 5 or more acres. Someplace where she can still go to work as a Sterile Processing Tech and have at most a 1 hour commute. She's 7 years younger than I and still wants to work and thinks I would be fine just puttering around taking care of chickens and rabbits and a little garden.

I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and we like to take road trips, especially off of the regular trails and paths and take our 3 dogs, Nitro, Nellie and Nikki. Also, this will be the first time in my life I will be further than just a few minutes from any large body of water, either the Great Lakes or an ocean, it's gonna be kind of wierd to see dry land in every direction.

Just a little but also curious, any Arizonans out there and have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about Arizona - Particularly the Prescott Valley and surrounding area? I have to admit, I enjoyed my visit there, mostly Phoenix and West/Southwest to Yuma.

Thanks,
Bryson

Sounds great! Sedona is awesome! Lots of hiking and the weather is cooler. And there's trees and stuff.
We planned to move to Phoenix, even bought a nice house there when the prices tanked, but stuff happened and I won't be moving after all. And the other part of the plan was to retire in Sedona :(

I'm sure someone else can give you better info about the area. Real estate was pricy in Sedona but maybe more reasonable outside city limits.

If you like huntin and fishin you should be just fine man. I live in north phoenix, maybe 45 min from Wickenburg and a little over an hour from Prescott. I think Prescott is beautiful and you can be in Flagstaff or Phoenix in no time. And it is probably the best town for guns and ammo in all of AZ... I am serious... Everyone goes to Prescott for bulk ammo.....

Phoenix here, Tucson before that (usaf). I love it here. The heat is bad your first year but when winter hits we all complain about it being 60. Yes, that is cold! Good luck on the move, Sedona is a beautiful area. Plenty of trails.

Get ready for drastic weather. It's about 20 degrees in Tucson right now and it will be 70 in 2 days. But hunting fishing and all the outdoor activities are unbeatable. Especially up north it's extremely beautiful and doesn't get as hot in Tucson or Phoenix.

If she's sick of cold weather, Sedona/Jerome isn't where you want to be. It gets pretty cold there.

BTW, it got below 20°F in Phoenix last night...

I love it here though. I'm in my early/mid 30's and I've been here for almost 6 years. I plan on retiring here as well. Owned a house for 3 years (that's how serious I am about liking this place) and it was the first house I've ever bought. Pretty much year round it's motorcycle weather here and being that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the U.S. there's always something to do.

True, but winter here is 7 - 8 months and January/February tend to be subzero for extended periods whereas winter there is what, about 2 months?

Oh, I didn't realize you were in Alaska. Yeah Sedona/Jerome would be great for you guys. Also, yes we have a VERY short winter (if at all) in the valley. Most years I don't even have to use a winter jacket, just hoodies and beanies. This year has been a bit different, but it's NOTHING compared to Alaska.

I can't stand the hot part of AZ, and I'm probably in the minority on that one. They say "you don't have to shovel the heat"... my ass. I'd rather shovel snow. It's gotten worse for me every year. I truly don't understand why so many people retire to the heat. I think about the day my wife and I can leave all the time.

The cooler areas are beautiful, although I'd definitely want to be more rural. Prescott/Sedona are neat places, but you couldn't pay me to live there and be surrounded by "all that". I suppose that's another thread.

There is definitely cold and snow at elevation, but I'm sure a MUCH shorter season than Alaska. A little more sunlight in the winter, too. :)

Oh, I didn't realize you were in Alaska. Yeah Sedona/Jerome would be great for you guys. Also, yes we have a VERY short winter (if at all) in the valley. Most years I don't even have to use a winter jacket, just hoodies and beanies. This year has been a bit different, but it's NOTHING compared to Alaska.

No worries! We've actually had a strange winter this year. We did 5 weeks of subzero temps from the end of November through December and twice in the last 3 weeks we actually hit 40 degrees. Thankfully, we were in Arizona for some of this. Phoenix, Wickenburg, Wenden areas and did some exploring through Sedona and Jerome. We are also checking out the Prescott Valley area.
Last year at this time we had received nearly 9 feet of snow eventually reached a new record (in 50 years) of nearly 13 feet of snow, this year we are approaching a total 3 feet so far.

I can't stand the hot part of AZ, and I'm probably in the minority on that one. They say "you don't have to shovel the heat"... my ass. I'd rather shovel snow. It's gotten worse for me every year. I truly don't understand why so many people retire to the heat. I think about the day my wife and I can leave all the time.

The cooler areas are beautiful, although I'd definitely want to be more rural. Prescott/Sedona are neat places, but you couldn't pay me to live there and be surrounded by "all that". I suppose that's another thread.

There is definitely cold and snow at elevation, but I'm sure a MUCH shorter season than Alaska. A little more sunlight in the winter, too. :)

100% agree with rural, I try to avoid cities like the plague but I did learn the VA Hospital in Prescott. The wife is Internationally Certified as a Sterile Processing Tech so jobs for her should be relatively easy so long as like I said in the original post we can limit the extent of the commute.
I have my wife and better half looking into rural properties of 5 or more acres only. Myself, I am looking to become a (Ahem) Gentleman Farmer as will be retired both from the Military and my State Job.

100% agree with rural, I try to avoid cities like the plague but I did learn the VA Hospital in Prescott. The wife is Internationally Certified as a Sterile Processing Tech so jobs for her should be relatively easy so long as like I said in the original post we can limit the extent of the commute.
I have my wife and better half looking into rural properties of 5 or more acres only. Myself, I am looking to become a (Ahem) Gentleman Farmer as will be retired both from the Military and my State Job.

I go to the va hospital here in phx. The system here is better than most states. Which isn't saying much.

If you like huntin and fishin you should be just fine man. I live in north phoenix, maybe 45 min from Wickenburg and a little over an hour from Prescott. I think Prescott is beautiful and you can be in Flagstaff or Phoenix in no time. And it is probably the best town for guns and ammo in all of AZ... I am serious... Everyone goes to Prescott for bulk ammo.....

That sounds great! How LHBS - what's in the area?

Bump myself:

Well, the wife has found a place outside of Kingman and she likes it so much she made it her wallpaper on her laptop. For $39,000 - it is a bit of a fixer upper, it's only on 3.3 acres but at least I won't hear the neighbors flush their toilet. I keep trying to talk her into waiting until next year when I can retire from the State. We'll see. I found another one that is on 41.5 acres with several buildings for $129,000. I'm going to try to convince her that would be even better.

41.5 acres for $129,000 sounds amazing. Have the buildings been maintained? Where I live $129k will buy you a cot in somebody's basement.

Yes, 2 of the buildings are 1500sqft Quonset huts, 2 floors each for a total 3000sqft each. One if inished on the first floor with 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, den and living room. The other one is set up as a garage and large workshop. In the back is 40ft container partially buried as a cold cellar/storage shed.
The prices in Arizona, especially away from Phoenix seem very low compared to here in Alaska.

That's awesome! As it should be, the states governing themselves and the feds managing the states (end of political statement!)

Pretty much an AZ native. Love it hear although the summers can really be brutal at times. Even up in Kingman it can get pretty hot (in the 100's). I'm also an avid hunter and fisherman and the state does have pretty good opportunities for both although it won't comparison to Alaska at all. Good luck

Well living in both AK and AZ the hunting and fishing ant that good here. but im always happy to welcome a Brewer to the state. lol

Pretty much an AZ native. Love it hear although the summers can really be brutal at times. Even up in Kingman it can get pretty hot (in the 100's). I'm also an avid hunter and fisherman and the state does have pretty good opportunities for both although it won't comparison to Alaska at all. Good luck

Well living in both AK and AZ the hunting and fishing ant that good here. but im always happy to welcome a Brewer to the state. lol

Thanks! Kind of looking forward to the move. My wife found a place out by Kingman and was checking it out online again this morning only to find out it had been sold over the weekend.
Surprised myself by realizing I am looking forward to a different kind of hunting and fishing. No more walking over tussocks and wading through bogs where I might slip in and sink 20ft or more.

Update: down to a year left before we move.
We have been concentrating on the area around Congress and Wickenburg. My wife wants to try for a position at Banner Boswell in Phoenix.

Looking for 5 to 10 acres, 2 bedroom, single family, single level home.

Update: down to a year left before we move.
We have been concentrating on the area around Congress and Wickenburg. My wife wants to try for a position at Banner Boswell in Phoenix.

Looking for 5 to 10 acres, 2 bedroom, single family, single level home.

I hope you're prepared....

NW Maricopa County is a helluva lot different than Alaska!

I hope you're prepared....

NW Maricopa County is a helluva lot different than Alaska!

Understood. Her parents are in Wenden and that is part of the reason for looking where we are, to be a little closer to them since her Mother is not doing well. Her Sister lives in Prescott Valley.

Understood. Her parents are in Wenden and that is part of the reason for looking where we are, to be a little closer to them since her Mother is not doing well. Her Sister lives in Prescott Valley.

Two years ago I rode out to Utah and passed through Prescott on a little motorcycle adventure. Coming from FL it was stunning. Just a completely different environment and I'd move out there in a second.

The national parks within striking distance are magnificent, you'll want a jeep for exploring!

Good luck with the house hunt.

Wife is inteviewing for a job in Prescott. Sounds like instead doing Sterile Processing, they want her to teach Sterile Processing. She's very excited. We have a nephew that lives 4 blocks from where she would be working. He works up here on the Slope in the Spring through Fall, so she told him she would house sit for him until we get moved down there in August.

Looks like I am going to have to increase my research efforts on the Prescott area.

Please tell me more of this "Whisky Row".

A whole block of bars dating back to the late 1800s. A few have burned down over the years, but it is one of the areas in Arizona with lots of cool history. Cowboys/ Miners would get their paychecks and head to whisky row for the weekend.

One year, according to legend, the row caught fire and the y carried the bars out to the street to keep drinking while the volunteer fire dept showed up to put out the fire.

Thanks!

She's still in her interview (her second actually) but she says it's looking pretty promising. I have joined a couple of AZ hunting and fishing forums and been reading the Fish and Game web site.

Wife just called. Interviews went great, she starts in March 2014.

Time to get busy to prepare to move her there and then move me after retiring in July.

No more 7 month winters after this one! In fact we are under Wnter Storm Watch to go to Winter Storm Warning this evening but we're only expecting 7" to 10" of snow for now. However it is already snowing heavily!

Great news!

The Prescott area is very nice, including Whisky Row!

It will certainly be a change from Alaska, but it should be a welcome change. Wish you and yours a great time there.

OK, nearly 18" of new snow at our house and it is 9F this morning. My Wife looks at me yesterday as we were shoveling and says - this is our LAST Alaskan winter. I didn't help as I said; but Dear, we only have about 4 to 4 1/2 more months of winter!

She threw snowballs at me! But then I reminded her she will be moving to Prescott in February and it should already be Spring there, at that time (I think).

Less than 2 months until the Wife moves. We are starting to get a little hasty in decisions on things to keep and ship or things to sell or give away.

I have to make a decision on brewing equipment. I am seriously considering getting rid of everything I have up here and starting fresh in AZ. I am very interested in doing Electric BIAB and No Chill, been checking out the Aussie Homebrew sites where they go into a lot of detail and have been doing it for quite some time. My Wife used up a lot of her craft supplies getting ready for Christmas and wants to ship as little of it as she possibly can. I told her there is no way I'm giving up any reloading equipment, luremaking things and flytying tools and materials but I would give up the brewing stuff if I can have new down there!

Less than 2 months until the Wife moves. We are starting to get a little hasty in decisions on things to keep and ship or things to sell or give away.

I have to make a decision on brewing equipment. I am seriously considering getting rid of everything I have up here and startin... tools and materials but I would give up the brewing stuff if I can have new down there!

I think that sound like a good plan. Brewing equipment takes up a lot of space compared to fly tying or reloading equipment. When you get settled in you can easily get restarted in brewing.

Good luck,

70 and sunny in Tucson today. I know that a ways further south than were ur headed but winters in AZ can't be beat.

Just curious if anybody is familiar with the area: Most likely the Sedona/Jerome, basically around the Prescott Valley area. Wife is finally fed up with our long cold winters here. She spent most of December with her family in Arizona and I went down for the last 10 days of her visit. She was hooked on the area where her parents are out West of Wickenburg but I don't think I could survive the summer time heat.
I'll be 55 unless we move sooner and I'll be eligible for my State Pension minus healthcare (70% disabled Vet, VA takes care of me). I collect my Military pension and that covers my home, property tax and home insurance up here.
We are looking for something rural, 5 or more acres. Someplace where she can still go to work as a Sterile Processing Tech and have at most a 1 hour commute. She's 7 years younger than I and still wants to work and thinks I would be fine just puttering around taking care of chickens and rabbits and a little garden.

I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and we like to take road trips, especially off of the regular trails and paths and take our 3 dogs, Nitro, Nellie and Nikki. Also, this will be the first time in my life I will be further than just a few minutes from any large body of water, either the Great Lakes or an ocean, it's gonna be kind of wierd to see dry land in every direction.

Just a little but also curious, any Arizonans out there and have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about Arizona - Particularly the Prescott Valley and surrounding area? I have to admit, I enjoyed my visit there, mostly Phoenix and West/Southwest to Yuma.

Thanks,
Bryson

It's been over a decade since I was last there, but I'm pretty sure Sedona is still full of hippie-new agers, sitting on "power points" & "ley lines." All yammering on about chakras & kundalini, eating gluten free horkin fiber chunks, talking about their feelings & taking aloevera enemas. Other than that, it's one of the nicer areas of AZ; especially around Oak Creek Canyon:
https://www.google.com/search?q=oak...HioASujIGoBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1231&bih=919

Pinetop/Lakside area is nice too, there's a ski resort there. The Snowflake, AZ area isn't bad, not many trees & it's all pinon "forest." Handy if you like pine nuts. Prescott & Flagstaff are nice, they have real trees & plenty of them, both are close to the Grand Canyon. I used to like walking thru the desert at night, after it had cooled down; on nights with a full moon. The light from the moon was bright enough so I could easily see the landscape around me clearly. I loved the smell of rain on the sagebrush. And if you get out away from town, it's quiet. Usually only the coyotes making noise, which can be annoying if they're close & won't shut up; BTW, coyotes WILL attack dogs & will tag team them to death. Small dogs like yorkies are snacks for coyotes.
Gee, I didn't know I had such a cheery outlook on AZ.
Regards, GF.

I lived in the phoenix area for 15 years, I loved the winters there, however working out in the summer heat all day wore me down, and not seeing even one little cloud for months at a time started to drive me crazy too.

But that was the valley, up north in sedona and peyson there are more moderate climes, some winter snow here and there, lots of outdoorsy things to get into there

What's the mosquito/black fly/no-see-ums conditions around the Prescott area?

Not bad. Some mosquitos starting in July with the rains, and peaking in late August. Higher densities near areas of water/vegetation (which aren't much).

Nothing like the midwest, or presumably, Alaksa.

Back