Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoops, once again, not paying attention. So I'm in for two, and subliminl (sorry, haven't paid attention to your real name yet), so if thedude is in, I'll order them up.

actually, while I"m at it, anybody need anything from Williams brewing? Might as well pay shipping once. Lemme know if anybody needs anything. I need some yeast, so I'll probably throw it into this order. The 22 dollar shipping was quoted with JUST the 6 growlers, so that won't change at all.

I'm starting off simple but will probably do much more mead experimentation than I do with my beers. And thanks for the offer on the corker.

I made my first mead 2 weeks ago I did a simple show mead. I agree with you ill be doing alot more mead experimentation then i do with my brews. Doing experimental 1 gallon batch are fun and easy. I got a couple 1 gallon jugs for secondary and food grade 2 gallon bucket for primary. If you need some new 2 gallon buckets i got a hand full you can have if you need. Just let me know when you need the corker.

I have two three gallon fermenters, one better bottle, and one wine bottle I use for fermenting. I don't normally use them, so if anyone ever needs a 3 gallon fermenter, lemme know, I'll lend out one of mine if they're not in service.

mikey i may take you up on that offer i have some grain left over from other batches i i think i can put together a 2 to 2 1/2 gallon batch so a 3 gallon fermenter would be great.

Yeah bro, lemme know. My 3 g bb is sitting right now. lemme know if you wanna borrow it. I', about to order the growlers. Everybody sure they don't need anything?

Yeah bro, lemme know. My 3 g bb is sitting right now. lemme know if you wanna borrow it. I', about to order the growlers. Everybody sure they don't need anything?

I think the growlers, my second carboy, replacement parts for this donated party pig i got today, my extensive shopping list for grains/hops at wholefoods tomorrow and all the various parts i ordered are setting me over my allotted monthly home brewing budget...

Note to self: convince wife I need a higher monthly home brewing budget

order placed. Can't wait to have these bad boys in my hands. I'm going to caress them, kiss them, and rub them on my privates......only my two, don't worry guys.

You might wanna make that an UN-diluted star-san bath. Damn, that reminds me, i'm gonna need star san soon,

lol These bad boys are going to be used very soon. Mikey got to say good call sir on getting a group buy together on these i would of never ordered a full case on my own.

Speaking of group buys, I've been organizing our portion of the group grain buy from the South Jersey crew for the last two years. We should talk about that on monday also. It says TONS of money.

Part of what I wanted to discuss was organizing group buys. Additionally, I recently participated in a group buy organized on here for NYC that was pretty quick and smooth. I purchased a 50lb of Golden Promise and Marris Otter.

It was also done through B&E, who offered to help out using their wholesale account.

I've added this to the agenda.

I was watching that one to see how it went and it looks like all went well. An added bonus is that I work in Brooklyn not too far from B & E and literally two minutes from Brooklyn Homebrew. According to the organizer, the next one isn't going to be deilvered there though.

I have no problem continuing to organize it for everyone once I know everybody. I would take the payments, figure out each person's tally, did most of the pick-ups, etc. Basically, I never wanted to be involved in the club "administration", so I handled this as my contribution. :)

Ah I see. Yeah I think that would be a great idea. Obviously, I can help however I can.

One thing I DO NEED though is grain storage. I think Pet Smart on Forest Ave sells those vittle vaults you see in brooklyn-homebrew and bitter & esters. I desperately need to get my hands on something lol.

Mind linking me? How well do they work for storing grain? Also, how often do you refill them?

A lot of questions, I know lol.

Yeh i don't kno why I have a deleted post lol. But it does sound like a good idea, using those bins. I'm going to look into it.

I don't know if any of you have ever been to the brewing area in Whole Foods on Houston and Bowery - but they were extremely helpful, have an awesome selection of ingredients as well as craft beers. Left the place $50 poorer with enough for my first non-kit brew and some Kasteel beers as well. Though I just realized I forgot to get DME...

Oh god, as a staten islander, I know that pain all too well. Making that drive all the way out to Brooklyn to make a purchase, to only then head home and suddenly realizing I had forgotten something. Not a great feeling lol.

Luckily I am still in the city - but do I really want to head downtown just for DME? I can't even start my brew until Tuesday when my second carboy arrives, but still...

So with regards to my forgetting DME... I have a vial of WLP570 - how important is a starter for a 3 gallon brew? Can I go without making a starter? (this would be my first time)

If you need DME, I have a 5 pound bag, unopened. I like to keep it on hand for starters and if I ever miss my gravity by a lot.

I went to whole foods once, and bought 30 pounds of grain, then got stupid drunk and forgot it on the express bus.

Oh, by the way, the idiot that was supposed to order those 2L jugs last night got too drunk, and didn't order them. So he ordered them just now. What a *******.

Hah, being too drunk is an excellent excuse though - at least to me. As for the DME, I'll just pitch it without a starter - that way I can possibly get started this weekend... I think...

Hah, being too drunk is an excellent excuse though - at least to me. As for the DME, I'll just pitch it without a starter - that way I can possibly get started this weekend... I think...

next time you make a start check this site out
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
Put in your info on your batch and it will tell you how much yeast you will need and what size starter if needed you need to make.

Anyone else brewing this weekend? I have a ton of work going on in my house tomorrow but I'm moving outside to brew a SMaSH while its all going on. Thank god for this ridiculously warm winter.

Doing some work on a ladder on my way down i must of stepped down wrong and hurt my right knee bad. I have a bad knee to start so today didnt help. The ER was a wast of time

Back