Should I Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Sunday morning I brewed two lagers, an Oktoberfest and a Pilsener. The Oktoberfest was pitched a starter, so the lag time there was about 3 hours. The Pily was pitched a Wyeast smack pack that had only been smacked about 4 hours earlier, and it has yet to show any sign of activity. It's been nearly 48 hrs. Should I get another smack pack and re-pitch or just wait it out?

omniscientomar said:
Sunday morning I brewed two lagers, an Oktoberfest and a Pilsener. The Oktoberfest was pitched a starter, so the lag time there was about 3 hours. The Pily was pitched a Wyeast smack pack that had only been smacked about 4 hours earlier, and it has yet to show any sign of activity. It's been nearly 48 hrs. Should I get another smack pack and re-pitch or just wait it out?

Do you have easy access to more yeast? If so, I'd repitch. If not...well, my cutoff is 3 days.

Well this blows... The pilsener has yet to show ANY signs of fermentation. That's 4 whole days and nothing. Is it too late to repitch? If I repitch a lager yeast, I'll have to make a starter, which is going to take some more time. Should I just pitch an ale yeast and move it out of the lagarator? I don't want to mess up the Oktoberfest that's currently in there....

I really wouldn't worry...especially with a lager. I know not worrying is easier said than done. But I can relate a story from a hefeweizen I made. I grossly underpitched the yeast in error and it took 12 days to start active fermentation and the beer came out fine. Not that I would recommend that as a standard practice, but most mistakes are not terminal in brewing.

Latest posts

Back