1 st All-Grain smoked hefe batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok all thoughts and advice on how I did on my 1 st All-grain for some reason
I was nervous about it,Did not want to waste a batch.

Multi-step
PR 129 20Min
Beta Sacch rest 150 30 Min
Alpha Sacch rest 160 30 Min
Mashout 170 10 Min

Sparge was 170

Gravity was 1.050 I am weak on how to take or read that dam hydrometer

PH level with the strip at the Alpha Sacch rest was 5.0 with-in seconds of dipping in the mash??

5 1/2# Pale Wheat Weyermann
4 # Plisner malt Weyermann
.75# Smoked Malt Weyermann
.25 Caramel Wheat 45L
.25 Honey Malt 25 L
1# Rice hulls
1oz Tettnang

You don't really need to do a protein rest with modern well modified malts. It would be a good idea to do your beta at 140 then vary your Alpha rest depending on what you're looking for in the final product. Beta Amylase is most active in the high 130's and low 140's. If you start getting higher than that it can become irreversibly denatured. Alpha amylase works for the temperature (technically) but you're average guy doesn't shoot for higher than 158 IMO. The plus side to my suggestion is protease still does it's thing in the lower end of the temp range for beta amylase.

you did multi steps on your first? dayumn... i do AG and still haven't done a step mash just yet lol

Hey thanks for the Tip I was following the northern brewers direction ,plus my burner
was way hotter and not to easy to control but I think it still should come out ok.

Back