Is there still live yeast in carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd read where the yeast essentially suffocates during the priming process (keg or bottle), due to the combination of pressure and excess CO2.

The reason I ask is that I partially force carbed a batch in my keg on Sunday and I think I want to flatten it out, prime it and bottle it instead.

Can this be done? Is it too late?

In CLONE BEERS they talk about using bottled beer and reconditioning the yeast. I just did that with a bottle of Duvel beer and it is bubbeling away. I don't keg but it works for bottles.

The kill pressure for brewer's yeast is much higher than bottles or kegs can handle. Go ahead and prime.

Yeast are generally killed by heat or excessive alcohol in the beer. If you are drinking unfiltered beer, you should be able to pitch the slurry from the bottom of the bottle into a starter and grow into a 5 gallon pitchable quantity. Keep in mind, some breweries filter their beer and use a different strain for carbonating...

Back