What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanging outside until it rains..

My mom just called me and told me my neighbor, from when i was a kid, Passed yesterday... His mom found him of a apparent heroin overdose... On mothers day ... I haven't seen or heard of him in years... Heroin is bad in these parts and its a real shame... Epidemic to say the least

1399936037990.jpg

What do you think of it, and what's the date on it? I thought it was decent and the 4 pack I picked up was 5 months old. Fresh, it would probably be pretty good.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Exactly 5 months old. It was bottled 12/12/13. It's not bad. I honestly expected a bit more rye flavor - it's masked quite a bit to my taste by the bitter. I bet you're right that it would be better fresher.

Exactly 5 months old. It was bottled 12/12/13. It's not bad. I honestly expected a bit more rye flavor - it's masked quite a bit to my taste by the bitter. I bet you're right that it would be better fresher.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399937010.559817.jpg

Remmy, you are certainly having a better day than I am. Drinking afternoon coffee going through emails that are thoroughly pissing me off...

Can't complain. Had to check email and deal with some punks from work for about 30 minutes. But I tuned that out and lit a cigar. It was smooth sailing after that. Lots of beers, too. Great day.

Sunburnt as ****. Having a few waters with a much-needed dinner.

Good question. How 'random' is the test when it is announced ahead of time?

In my experience the random ones mean you are subject to the test when you screw up or are filing for workers comp.

I guess random means the day they picked because we all had to take one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399939961.863468.jpg
Thanks Remmy! Lost about half of the RIS so I'll start with that one tonight.

Wow. Luckily it was contained.

I got that same beer from bane but it turned out to be ok - a little over-carbed, but no bomb. The Pliny clone he sent me, however, gushed and tasted infected. I gave it a go and took a few sips but I had no choice but to pour it out afterward. :( Was totally looking forward to that beer.

bane, my only guess is you may have some funky stuff in your bottling bucket/wand? These things happen but I am hoping you can find the cause just in case it's your equipment. Those are cheap to replace.

Would love to trade again at some point soon and send you some of my new stuff. :mug:

Yeah... I just replaced my siphon, found schmutz in it. Also a bunch of tubing. That being said, all of my bottles seen to be highly carbed.
I did have A pan of one of my NHC beers as having an infection, though. Ehh... Can't wait to go solely keg.

I first had a 2012 and 2013 tasted vertically. The consensus was it tasted sorta like a liquid/beer form of a warhead candy. I loved it and it was my introduction to sours. I am going to buy a few every year and keep doing the vertical tastings for a bit.

After work today I probably got myself put on some sort of watch list. I went, traded in 3 propane tanks and then went and filled a couple gas cans. I bet you if there happened to be a fire within a mile radius I would be questioned as a person of interest. I was only catching up and refilling so that I can continue to grill (for self gas is fine) and have my beer burner tank and backup both full as well as filling the mower cans but you never know. After mowing lawn, I am now sitting here with a pale ale as I have no lawnmower beers in the house.

We talked trade.... Don't be scared of the above thread. Dammit, where is the leery emoticon?

Keeping it ot, second pour of bourbon. Had a late meeting at work; they bought the beer to get my input.

Also... Had to pass on the Garrett Oliver beer tasting pic from last week.

1399940599394.jpg

1399940618560.jpg

wtf. That's three different types of beers that have leaked in shipments. ****.

I am sorry, man.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399941222.148373.jpg
Remmy's Oaked RIS. No apologies necessary this is excellent!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399941985.628386.jpg
My black ipa based on Sublimely Self Righteous it's really good. I think i put this pic in the right thread.

Got a sore nerve/muscle from neck into back & shoulder. Having an hb pale ale and then maybe a hot shower.

IMAG2951.jpg

I first had a 2012 and 2013 tasted vertically. The consensus was it tasted sorta like a liquid/beer form of a warhead candy. I loved it and it was my introduction to sours. I am going to buy a few every year and keep doing the vertical tastings for a bit.

After work today I probably got myself put on some sort of watch list. I went, traded in 3 propane tanks and then went and filled a couple gas cans. I bet you if there happened to be a fire within a mile radius I would be questioned as a person of interest. I was only catching up and refilling so that I can continue to grill (for self gas is fine) and have my beer burner tank and backup both full as well as filling the mower cans but you never know. After mowing lawn, I am now sitting here with a pale ale as I have no lawnmower beers in the house.

I could be wrong but I think La Folie is pasteurized. Did you notice a difference between 2012 and 2013? I'm not trying to come off as a jerk. I am actually curious and would be interested if someone knowledgeable could come in and explain to me if a beer still could develop after pasteurization.

Sent from the Bat Cave

I could be wrong but I think La Folie is pasteurized. Did you notice a difference between 2012 and 2013? I'm not trying to come off as a jerk. I am actually curious and would be interested if someone knowledgeable could come in and explain to me if a beer still could develop after pasteurization.

Sent from the Bat Cave

It is pasteurized but i dont think it kills absolutely everything. I could be wrong though.

Drinking a hb at the race shop.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399946114.141552.jpg

Sent from the Bat Cave

All of New Belgium's sours and wilds are pasteurized before hitting the stainless part of their brewery. Souring is done in the foudre room and pasteurized inline before reaching the clean beer side for packaging. I don't think it was the result of any specific problem. Probably just a safe guard. Sucks anyway.

However, the blend ratios should be different every year. So while the beer won't change (in theory) they should taste different (in theory).

Development in the bottle would be based on storage conditions and anything in the packaging. Obviously, it will still be susceptible to handling damage based on temperature and other variables. Whether one would be able to pick them out under the acids and other esters is another thing. One of New Belgium's blenders said the bottle will be how they want it to taste when it leaves the brewery and when you buy it. I think she made mention that there was not any purpose or reason to cellar the beer as it will not change.

I would say it won't change much. Any oxidation it may pick up in the bottle will probably be undetectable compared to oxidation picked up in wood aging.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399948178.179932.jpg
2012 bottle. If I didn't know better I would swear this beer had cherry in it. The things that bugs do to dark beers can be insane

Opened a bomber of my Costa Kona Mocha Latte Stout to see if there are any differences between the 12 oz and 22 oz bottles. Pretty much the same, but tasty.

IMAG2953.jpg

Back