more temperature/fermentation concerns concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderm

Reaction score
I brewed cream stout on thursday night; i pitched a Wyeast Lab pack. The carboy and wort have been a steady 68 degrees since then; dropping to 64 last night. Fermentation hasnt seem to have started yet;there hasn't been any airlock activity. I measured the OG on thursday night, ~1.040.
What course of action should i take? I think i need to move it somewhere a bit warmer, but i'm not sure what do about the seemingly dormant yeast.
anyone got suggestions?

We'd need to know what yeast you're using, and what your estimated OG is. As for what the maximum temperature you can ferment: it really is dependant on what yeast strain you're using. Some ale yeasts let you go to 70 (some Belgians can go even higher), while other ale yeasts will start giving you off flavors going up to 65.

If you want to try kicking up fermentation, then you can try raising the temp to the maximum of your particular yeast. You can also stir the yeast slurry to get more yeast in solution. If after a few days your gravity is still not going down, then you can try pitching more yeast and/or yeast nutrient. But seeing as you brewed this up on Thursday night, I would still wait a couple more days before worrying with the fermentation.

Wait a couple more days before you do anything, read the stickys at the top of this section and RDWHAHB.

Also remember that almost all fermentations differ in some way, there are too many variables to track that affect fermentation, some of which are out of our control, not the least of which is: Moon phase, barometric pressure, vibrations, yeast state of mind, etc, etc.

Keep on brewing my friend:mug:

Back