Kegging-3/16" liquid line on 1/4" shanks/tails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroomzofdoom

Reaction score
Been mowing through kegging forums and the search engine and couldn't seem to find this answer.

How concerned should I be with 3/16" line on 1/4" inch shanks/tailpieces? It seems like most vendors only carry the 1/4" shanks. Should I look around more for 3/16" shanks or is this a non-issue?

Thanks for any input here.

My question was more one of fluid dynamics and potential for foaming than anything else. Yanno, a 3/16" tubing run hitting a 1/4" shank that's also probably room temp...

Of course I can get a 3/16 onto a 1/4....using brute force all things are possible. ;-)

bolts, saw that one today while link searching!!!!! Yeeeouch! Yep, just ordered a nice pack of small SS worm clamps from mcmaster. I am going to go threaded fittings all the way, but will definately be clamping off any barbs.

My question was more one of fluid dynamics and potential for foaming than anything else. Yanno, a 3/16" tubing run hitting a 1/4" shank that's also probably room temp...

Of course I can get a 3/16 onto a 1/4....using brute force all things are possible. ;-)

bolts, saw that one today while link searching!!!!! Yeeeouch! Yep, just ordered a nice pack of small SS worm clamps from mcmaster. I am going to go threaded fittings all the way, but will definately be clamping off any barbs.

I've never had an issue with foaming that I couldn't trace to line length or pressure or temperature...

Oetiker clamps FTW!

There's a reason every beverage company on the planet uses these - They are great!
And all you need to crimp or remove one is a diagonal cutter - You really don't need the special crimper.

Bonus - They are cheaper than worm clamps, they are smaller than worm clamps, and they don't have that annoying little tail to cut you open like worm clamps! :mug:

I use them on every connection I make:
DSC_5808.JPG

And all you need to crimp or remove one is a diagonal cutter - You really don't need the special crimper.

Ok, that's it...I'm sold. I never used these before and thought you needed the special tool. Any special technique to this?

That is GREAT advice, thanks for posting that!

Ok, that's it...I'm sold. I never used these before and thought you needed the special tool. Any special technique to this?

That is GREAT advice, thanks for posting that!

Not really.
I just crimp it with a side cutter. I crimp from one side, then flip and crimp from the other, just to get it even. YMMV. As long as your crimp pulled the 2 sides together - Regardless of what it looks like - It's tight.

To remove, simply use your side cutters between the "tail" and the "Ring. It's hard to explain, but they come right off - Essentially you have to use your cutters to peel the tail off the ring, and the punch marks that hold it down.

knock on whatever is convenient, but i have yet to have a blow-out without hose clamps.

Me too! - But what's $0.25?

It's worth it in my opinion, just for the "I know that if I hook one end to my truck and the other to a tree, that it's not coming apart before the hose blows" piece of mind :tank:

Tile nippers will work for crimping the clamps as well. Only reason to buy the crimping tool is that it can crimp face on and from the side.

Back