BBQ Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPBar

Reaction score
hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.

random_009.jpg

i started off with the bbq. it was to be a free standing grill possibly with wheels to roll around the yard. the body was a water tank salvaged from an ancient cement truck. it was too perfect not to use. it already had a 6 inch vent out the top with a removable lid and brackets that bolted right to the angle iron frame i built. used the plasma to cut out the lid and welded stanley door hinges to the back of it. built the grill out of rounded angle iron and expanded metal. the rod is 3/4in black gas pipe welded to a ratchet reel for strapping down loads on trailers and semi's. the ratchet reel then is welded to the crank handle, thus enabling the grill to be raised and lowered. i will take some more photos to illustrate what i am describing, as my ability for comprehensible directions leaves something to be desired!

finally when the beast had to be moved for painting we realized that a mere stand with casters was not going to cut it. so we toyed around with the idea of building a trailer for it out of an old 4-wheeler frame. but i always say go big or go home. so we searched through our junk pile and came upon very large trailer hitches for mobile homes. heavy duty suckers with 10 in I-beam frames. so we started chopping them up and built the frame to the new bbq trailer. we also found the axles that went with the massive hitches. the square frame of the trailer ended up being approx. 6ft x 10ft with a 4ft tongue.

random_012.jpg

random_010.jpg

random_016.jpg

random_015.jpg

finally finished the wiring, and surprisingly all the lights work! still need to find some fenders and throw on some reflective tape before i can get her licensed, but as its winter now and not much barbecuing going on, it can probably wait.

Wow, nice work! I didn't realize the scale of this until the trailer photo.

That's got to be one heavy trailer. That is alot of steel. Looks like you even have room up front on the trailer to mount a brewing rig.

This may be in the top 10 coolest things ever....

:mug:

I would HAVE to add a side box for cold smoking (or indirect) though.

yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both :ban:), whatever the venue happens to be.

Prost!That is one tailgating machine! Still has plenty of room for a satelite dish/LCD and portable keezer. Awesome

hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.

Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

main1.gif

yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both :ban:), whatever the venue happens to be.

Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?

Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?

sorry its kind of a closely guarded secret, most of my cousins don't even know it. ;) but if you are interested in trying it and up for a road trip, come to the potter valley rodeo in california on may 30, 2010. my grandpa always bbq's for the rodeo, i usually make it every year.

Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

main1.gif

thats awesome congratulations! no i dont compete, i would like to, but the closest competition to me, that i know of, is the Reno Rib Cookoff, and you have to own your own BBQ restaurant and be invited in order to compete. i have heard a lot of different people use the big green eggs but i have never seen one in action, how do you like em?

Nice project. I can't beleive you were able to find that much channel for little or no cost. That was a great score.

Prost!That is one tailgating machine! Still has plenty of room for a satelite dish/LCD and portable keezer. Awesome

Agreed!

slap on a firebox and keezer and you'd be set!

I have a large BGE and love it, along with the guru it's makes cookin bbq very easy (and lazy).

ok finally got a few more close up pics of the grill. my computer doesnt like uploading pictures. :( The grill is currently off the trailer so I could finish the wiring. It already needs another coat of paint, i dont think i got the old paint off everywhere before i sprayed the high temp paint on. so there was some 'peel'age the last time i used it.

BBQ_006.jpg

BBQ_005.jpg

BBQ_002.jpg

thats awesome congratulations! no i dont compete, i would like to, but the closest competition to me, that i know of, is the Reno Rib Cookoff, and you have to own your own BBQ restaurant and be invited in order to compete. i have heard a lot of different people use the big green eggs but i have never seen one in action, how do you like em?[/QUOTE]

The big green egg is the perfect cooker! You can grill, smoke and bake with it. It is a ceramic cooker so it really retains heat. At comps it is not unusual for us to make a pizza with the egg because we just can't eat another bite of Q. It is also a steak cooking machine because you can get the temps up to 650 to really put a good sear on a piece of meat.

Plenty of room to add a portable kegerator, or one that runs off 12 volt....

My Dad has built several cookers and also caters BBQ and smoked meat. You have a nice, big cooker and lots of trailer room. I suggest dropping a Firebox that at's least half the size of your cooker. That will give you total control of your heat plus you can use it smoke meat as well.
Looks great!

thats awesome. is that an oil drum? i would love to see some more pics of that one, and a little info on how you built it!

What I know about UDS (ugly drum smokers). It is a 55 gallon drum. You don't want to use an oil drum unless it had coconut oil in it. What ever was stored in it needs to have been a food grade product.

Here are a couple of web sites to check.

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

thanks for the input guys. i think you have convinced me, a firebox will soon be in the works!:ban::ban::ban:

thanks for the links to the uds blog and the bbq forum. now i will have no free time!!! Im building a UDS this spring.

thats awesome. is that an oil drum? i would love to see some more pics of that one, and a little info on how you built it!
This is the drum in action this Thanksgiving. People spend thousands of dollars on quality smokers, I built this one for about 95 dollars..I always use unlined new drums, I can find them here in Dallas for around 45 dollars. If you build one make sure if you don't get a new one, that its previous life it held some kind of food....The link to BBQ Brethren will give you all the info you need..This by far is my cheapest but best smoker! Oh and here is a shot of the inside, before I put the racks in.

t4.jpg

inside UDS.jpg

Thanks for the links LiquidGold, that bbq-bretheren thread is epic. It took me all weekend to get through it. I've already located a drum :)

Your welcome. Damn that was quick. It took me some time to find a drum. When I did I found 5 of them. Their sitting on the side of the house waiting for me to work my magic with them.

Well everyone, the time has come. from your suggestions i have decided to transform the grill into a full on smoker. i have very little experience with smokers, so any information u have on what i need, to build this right is extremely appreciated.

A few questions i have to begin with is: what would be the minimum size for a firebox for my 'q' or does it matter? and would it be possible to mount the firebox at the same level as the grill or does it need to be below it?

Thats all i can think of for now but I am sure i will have many... many... many more questions as soon as this project gets rolling. Thanks for the ideas guys! :rockin:

I think the firebox is usually mounted so the input is below the grate where youre putting the food, but I'm no expert.

My smoker is a super entry level masterbuilt charcoal upright, temperature control lacks precision but mmmBoy does that thing pump out some tasty pulled pork.

I think the firebox is usually mounted so the input is below the grate where youre putting the food, but I'm no expert.

My smoker is a super entry level masterbuilt charcoal upright, temperature control lacks precision but mmmBoy does that thing pump out some tasty pulled pork.

i am sorry i didnt write that very well. i guess what i meant was can the bottom of the firebox be mounted level with the bottom of the smoke chamber with the ducting going straight across? does that make sense? the main reason i am asking is because the sidewalls of my trailer are so high that it will really restrict access to the firebox door if it is mounted on the bottom of the trailer.

Check out:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/

Look for the BBQ BOARD link in the left column. It's a forum dedicated to BBQ.

I do belive there is a section on DIY smokers.

Your objective is to have a fire box that holds enough charcoal/wood to enable you to not have to tend to the smoker all the time. IT has to have controlled air flow to it so that you can get the temperature you need, without burning up the fuel too fast.

The ducting between the fire box has to be high enough on the firebox to pickup the smoke and heat. And enter the smoke chamber low enough to be dispersed evenly.

The grill that you have is big enough that you'd probably be better of with two ducts running from the fire box. Run the duct toward the center of your smoke chamber...and it's also helpful to have a baffle... The baffles job is to catch the smoke and heat as it pours out of the ducts under your grill...and distribute it evenly. They can be simply a plate of steel with holes drilled strategically.

It is SO IMPORTANT...that you try to design your smoker so that the temperature and smoke is even across the entire cooking grate. Your thermometers should be at the level of the grate. You want to know what temperature the meat is actually feeling...not the roof of the smoker. If you get uneven heating...it will cause you to overcook some areas and under cook others. You don't want to have to open the smoke chamber during smoking...so even cooking is KEY!

You can imagine when you've got part of your smoker going at 190 degrees and another section getting 230 that over a period of 18-20 hrs (Beef Briskets) you'll have some extremely disappointing results.

I smoke at 211F most of the time. I can go 4 hrs without adding charcoal. My heat stays pretty even without constant adjustment of dampners, etc...

Ribs take 4-5 hrs, Pulled pork 10-12 hrs, Briskets 18-20 hrs, Prime Rib 2:30-4:30 hrs...

You might have to experiment with the geometry of your smoke stacks, ducts, baffles, and butterfly vent... WHen you get it right...you're going to love the food you produce!! And so will everyone else.

Good luck...You've got a great looking start on the project.

Your trailer reminds me of the Diamond Plate products line. Look through their photo gallery for some ideas.

http://www.diamondplateproducts.com/50_Series.php

They have extras like bins for wood/charcoal, side burners, gas burner for grilling, gas burner for starting the charcoal, charcoal racks for grilling...you name it.

Making your own will give you super flexibility...

I see what you mean. Your smoker is so close to the frame of the trailer that it gives you little vertical room for your firebox.
I would rotate your smoker 45 degrees either direction and raise it as much as you can without making it difficult to work with. Then build a firebix behind it. You want the exhaust to leave the firebox very close to the top and enter the smoker very close to the bottom.
You wouldnt need a large firebox. My father always has angle iron welded on each side of the firebox, on the inside, to use as guides for a tray. That way he can slide the tray out, dump the charcoal, get it going and slide it back in the firebox. Once its going good start adding your wood of choice.
Between the vent on your firebox and the cap on the exhaust of your smoker you can dial in your temps real well.
Gotta get a good thermometer mounted on that bad boy too!

thats awesome congratulations! no i dont compete, i would like to, but the closest competition to me, that i know of, is the Reno Rib Cookoff, and you have to own your own BBQ restaurant and be invited in order to compete. i have heard a lot of different people use the big green eggs but i have never seen one in action, how do you like em?

The big green egg is the perfect cooker! You can grill, smoke and bake with it. It is a ceramic cooker so it really retains heat. At comps it is not unusual for us to make a pizza with the egg because we just can't eat another bite of Q. It is also a steak cooking machine because you can get the temps up to 650 to really put a good sear on a piece of meat.[/QUOTE]

+1 on Kamados - they're the perfect slo-cooker/smoker/grill. I love my 2 Primos. Made pizzas on it yesterday and couldn't stop eating the left-overs all day today.

Great looking rig! Throw a couple of jockey boxes full of ice and you're someone I'd like to party with. :mug:

oh i am sure before i am done with this thing there will be a few taps protruding from the body of this rig. that is a given my friend. :tank:

Back