Ninkasi IPA what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Was shooting for a Ninkasi rip off since I can't get it here. Had some help here with it a while back and brew day is this next week. Thought I would let the experts look it over first :)

6lb 8oz X-Light dry malt extract
1lb Munich malt
6 oz crystal 60L

.75oz summit 60min
1/2oz summit 30min
1oz amarillo 5min
1oz centennial 5min
1oz amerillo 7days dry hop
1oz centennial 7days dry hop

Wyeast London ESB (1968)

Og 1.067
Fg 1.021 - Believe it will finish more like 1.017
SRM .9
IBU 67.6
ABV 6.1

Thanks so much for everyone on this sites help. I have made some fantastic beers with your input

Are you going for the Total Domination IPA or the Tricerahops Double IPA?

Either way, looks good to me. You might want to add in another variety of hop. I met the brewer at a tasting and I remember him saying they use at least three different varieties of hops in the TD and at least five in the T-hops (of course I'm not smart enough to remember to write down which varieties!).

I drink it all the time and I would be surprised if it had summit or Wyeast 1968. Of course I could be wrong (it happens sometimes).

I put this together off what others had said they heard was in it so I have no idea if I am on the money or way off.

Going for a total domination and I have only had it once so who knows what I will get.
I am sure it will be beer and I will drink it though :)

I drink it all the time and I would be surprised if it had summit or Wyeast 1968. Of course I could be wrong (it happens sometimes).

From the research I have done (check other threads on here), the brewers themselves have indicated 1968 and centennial/summit/amarillo. Also caraHell malt as a specialty malt. Damn i love this beer! Please report back on this recipe.

I will do that Picobrew made this today so am looking at 6 weeks to try one at least. You were one who gave me some help putting this together thanks for the help.

As a side note the house smelled great!

By the way I used columbus inplace of the summit since they were out when I placed my order for supply's

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Im still searching for a recipe for their believer. That is one of my favorite beers out there at the moment.

Looks alright to me, I'm not sure it will be Total Domination but it will be a good beer. I'd be surprised if Ninkasi has that beer finish that high as it doesn't taste like that sweet of a beer to me but i could be wrong. I would probably put some carapils or something for mouthfeel, also on the hops I would probably do a first wort hop, a bittering addition, the 30, and put a lot of hops in at 5, 3, and whirlpool. Make sure you dry hop the crap out of it as well.

I'm pretty sure they use 1968....I know it's a British yeast they use. Jamie brought the yeast with him when he left the Steelhead and started Ninkasi.

I'm pretty sure they use 1968....I know it's a British yeast they use. Jamie brought the yeast with him when he left the Steelhead and started Ninkasi.

Sounds like good enough evidence to me. The main reason I questioned it was that I don't get the sweeter, fruity notes that 1968 is supposed to deliver. Maybe they mash at a lower temp.

Yeah as far as it being sweet I have it figured out as an all grain also and plan to mash at a low temp to get it dryer. Do to time restraints I went with Extract this round just to see how the yeast + hop + grains mesh. And because Im out of home brew and getting thirsty :p

Sounds like good enough evidence to me. The main reason I questioned it was that I don't get the sweeter, fruity notes that 1968 is supposed to deliver. Maybe they mash at a lower temp.

I'm pretty sure they mash in excess of 150. I'll ask Jamie the next time I see him.

I'm pretty sure they mash in excess of 150. I'll ask Jamie the next time I see him.

If you can, get a proper recipe out of him! ;) There are a lot of people who want to clone this work of art.

I'm really not an ipa guy, but my homebrew and ninkasi are turning me to the dark side.

Im with you Picobrew Ninkasi is the first IPA I have ever liked.

If what the wort tasted like is an indication of what this beer is going to be like, it will be fantastic. This is the first Hydro. sample I ever tried that was good.

Hey Denny you get us any info yet?

This is going into the secondary today and I am going to dry hop it sometime this week. It has been 4 weeks in the primary and I am excited to see how it taste so far. I will post tommorrow and let you all know.

UPDATE:::Transferd this last night. FG was 1.020 6.7ABV dead on to the real thing. The hydro. sample taste great I am really excited about this beer. Im thinking its going to be my best yet.
Now its time to dry hop for 7days or so then get it into bottles.

Hey Denny you get us any info yet?

This is going into the secondary today and I am going to dry hop it sometime this week. It has been 4 weeks in the primary and I am excited to see how it taste so far. I will post tommorrow and let you all know.

I've been trying to get ahold of Jamie for months on a different matter. No luck yet...sorry. The guy is BUSY I guess!

do you know what the fg is off the real deal? I think I am preaty close with this beer so far though

How did this one turn out?
I've been wanting to brew something like Total Domination for a while now.

I had one yesterday. only 7 days in the bottle but it was great!! like I said earlyer in the post I would use the summit hops next time. I am waiting to see how it is after 3 weeks of conditioning and if I will up the dry hop addition or not. I was a little worried about the FG but it has already mellowed out and taiste great. I cant get ninkasi here so some one else is going to have to make it and do a side by side of it to help me out with tweaking it to prefection.

Back