Terminology: Craft brew V. Real Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terminology: Craft Beer V. Real Beer

• Craft Beer

• Real Beer

• None, it's all just beer.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I stated in another thread that I am not fond of the term "Craft beer"

However, I do understand that this movement needs a hook to give it identity.

I'm not fond of the term "Real Ale" either, but it must be acknowledged that when employed by CAMRA this term virtually single handedly saved the beer industry in the UK from BMC and gave beer back to the customers.

I believe that a major reason for this was it's aggressive nature. It implied that the BMC on offer was, by association NOT real. IMO the term craft beer lacks this killer punch.

Obviously the term will not get changed now, and we are stuck with the craft beer label for the good stuff, but what if we could start over?

Would you prefer Craft Beer, or Real Beer? (Obviously the term real ale would not work the same in the US)

I think it would help to have definitions for the options. Is Craft beer or Real beer any beer not BMC or is it from a brewery under a specific size or what criteria defines it.

I think it would help to have definitions for the options. Is Craft beer or Real beer any beer not BMC or is it from a brewery under a specific size or what criteria defines it.

I was gonna mention that CAMRA did have very specific criteria for what constituted "Real Ale"

I was not sure how to incorporate a similar criteria for the American market given it's greater diversity in popular styles in the craft department.:eek:

I just realised! If the phrase real beer was used, then in order to market their own versions, BMC would have to start using the term Real Beer too when trying to corner that end of the market! :D

By CAMRA's definition, Most American Craft Beer is not "Real Beer".

CAMRA have a reason to call it 'Real Beer' that actually makes sense -- not just to scare away BMC. Hopefully the quality and diversity of Craft Beers will continue to win over Americans so that BMC becomes a thing of the past -- although changing the name to make people feel bad about drinking BMC would certainly expedite the process.

I was gonna mention that CAMRA did have very specific criteria for what constituted "Real Ale"

I don't believe that the stipulation was based on a company profile - size of brewery in bbl or anything like that. But it was just before my time so I might be wrong about that - any of the UK guys know?

You would need specific definition I think - but by that you then run the risk that anyone, even the hated BMC, can brew a beer to those standards and sell it as such.

I think the ship has sailed in the US - the way the commercials over here are now more about the beer in many cases (Great American Lager ads, for example), than about the lifestyle indicates to me that BMC is aware that there's a growing market for better quality beer, and they intend to get some of that market by showing that their beer is better (because it is lighter in color, LOL).

I like the term "craft beer", because it denotes a certain, well, craftedness. Kind of like "craft furniture" or "craft cheese" NOT Kraft cheese!, etc. To my my mind, it brings up a smaller, handcraftedness that isn't there with big factories. Now, that might not really be the case in practice, but it does have that connotation to me.

The only other term that I like better is "artisan". That's right! Artisan beer. Just like artisan bread, artisan cheese, etc.

I like the term "craft beer", because it denotes a certain, well, craftedness. Kind of like "craft furniture" or "craft cheese" NOT Kraft cheese!, etc. To my my mind, it brings up a smaller, handcraftedness that isn't there with big factories. Now, that might not really be the case in practice, but it does have that connotation to me.

The only other term that I like better is "artisan". That's right! Artisan beer. Just like artisan bread, artisan cheese, etc.

I most certainly agree :mug:.

"Craft" brew makes me think of those crappy folk Americana wooden things painted in muted red with hearts and stars and bits of straw pasted all over the place.

Kinda like this thing.

beehappy.jpg

Artisan Beer is probably my favorite.

Gourmet Beer is also very appropriate.

Hand-crafted beer is a good term, but most "craft breweries" wouldn't fall into this category anymore. I think once your mash tun is too big to stir with a paddle and motorized rakes must be employed - its no longer hand-crafted.

I'm not fond of calling it Real Beer.

Craft Beer does cause me to think of hand-made wooden things sold out the back of a on old pickup at some flea market.

I can't make a pick in the poll because I think it's a case of one term being relevant in the UK (real) and the other in the US (craft). I'm on both sides :)

I think CAMRA probably picked the right word back in the 70s when they were trying to distinguish traditional cask ales from the new keg beer the big breweries were trying to replace it with on the grounds of cost and convenience. In the US I'd leave gourmet to the foodies and go with either craft or artisan - something that communicates a degree of skill, art and passion in the brewer that differentiates them from the BMC corporations. Although BMC have better ads :D

I like the term craft beer because it implies that you got in there and made something worth making and put your heart in there and back it with integrity and PRIDE.

I like the term craft beer because it implies that you got in there and made something worth making and put your heart in there and back it with integrity and PRIDE.

My thoughts exactly.

I have more beef with the term "homebrewer"...but thats another thread.

This one wasn't on the list: "Pure beer" (I just made it up, and it means that no more than 10% of the fermentables come from a non-grain source).

But if that wasn't an option, I'd go with craft beer. I also like the sound of artisan beer, but it doesn't flow quite so well.

something that communicates a degree of skill, art and passion in the brewer that differentiates them from the BMC corporations. Although BMC have better ads :D

I'd think it would be hard to make an argument thats theres more skill in making a craft beer. All of us can brew a good heavy beer. Brewing a good light beer is tougher.

Honestly, there is Commercial and Homebrewed beer.

"Craft beer" "Real Ale" & "Real Beer" seem to ultimately point to the same damn thing......

BEER!

Beer is beer,

Good, bad, warm or cold it is all still beer !

-Jason

From a marketing standpoint or if this is to be anything more than just a term used on this board. "Real beer" would not be able to be copyrighted, you can trust me, I'm an internet forum lawyer :D But really I don't think it would happen, its just to generic. Which would mean that if it did become a super popular term it could be used by anyone, even those who don't make whatever is defined as "real beer".

From a marketing standpoint or if this is to be anything more than just a term used on this board. "Real beer" would not be able to be copyrighted, you can trust me, I'm an internet forum lawyer :D But really I don't think it would happen, its just to generic. Which would mean that if it did become a super popular term it could be used by anyone, even those who don't make whatever is defined as "real beer".

When I started this poll I had the marketing standpoint firmly in mind rather than the emotional one. As usual, I didn't explain that too well, as is demonstrated by most of the responses. Personally, from the emotional aspect, I would just prefer to call it all beer.

Legally, even with well defined parameters as to what would constitute a term such as "Real Beer" I do understand that there would be one hell of a problem with the litigious nature of the US, especially regarding major corporations and the power they have at their fingertips. It would end up not only with BMC taking it to court, but with them also gaining sole rights to the term for themselves, probably. ;)

I use "artisanal beer" or "artisan made beer" on my homebrew labels.

For commercial beers, I think artisan and artisanal are good, strong marketing words and concepts.

I'd think it would be hard to make an argument thats theres more skill in making a craft beer. All of us can brew a good heavy beer. Brewing a good light beer is tougher.

EVERYONE says that.I think it's a load of BS.Whats hard is to be consistent in flavor.All breweries do that.I understand it's easier to detect off flavors in lighter beers,but I don't have too many problems with that.And I ferment my beers in a 6.5 gallon bucket!!Do you really think there are off flavours in any craft stouts that are out there?or any good beer for that matter!If there were than people wouldn't buy them.

not trying to attack you Synovia.I just think people around here give the macros Waaaayyyyy too much credit.

Oh and to LGI I just call it beer.That BMC crap is just a malt beverage.

Back