Ready for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
Hi,

Brew day was 6 days ago and I felt all went well. It started out bubbling once every 1-2 seconds. (plastic fermenter)
Now at day 6 it's bubbling once every minute and sometimes one good bubble and 1 or 2 smaller ones in 2 minutes and again at times once every minute and a half. I popped it open and peaked inside and I don't see what looks like krausen (maybe it has fallen?) but there is what looks more like a beer head. It's a thin foam that's also very bubbly. It's thin and you can see clear beer through it as well as around the edges of the bucket. It's kind if like when your glass of beer looses it's head and you swirl it to get a thin layer...or a head that's almost gone. Actually there is a ring of "crust" about 3/4 of an inch wide around the bucket.
I never opened it before today so I don't know if there was krausen there but I assumed since it was bubbling so nicely that it was fine. I am kind of hesitant to open the bucket in my basement if I don't have to. (yes, I need glass!)

I was planing on racking to secondary tomorrow. Still a go?

Tommy

Sounds as though krausen has dropped and racking can be done. Any fermentation left can be finished in your secondary container.

Wild

Thanks much!

I normally clean as I go when I work (with anything) so I have less to do down the line.
I'm giving my equipment a pre rinse right now in prep for sanitizing and racking tomorrow.

Tommy

Back