BBQ Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
Other than cold and/or free, what are your favorite beers/styles for BBQ? My brother has a couple of BBQ competitions. I'll be bringing some beers to help keep the crew motivated.

I like Dude's Watermelon Wheat. Any other ideas? It will be hot down here in Alabama around all those smokers.

I think the overwhelming majority of folks are going to pick lawnmower beers, light lagers, and other refreshing brews. In general, I'd rather have a dark porter with the kind of things that usually come off the grill or out of a smoker.

My brother might be going to Memphis, but I'll be going to the one in Birmingham, Al. Birmingham has a good one this summer at Sloss Furnas. Hard not to go to that one since it's right down the street. It's in July or August I believe......

Pale ales seem to work for me. Not going to get too buzzed and burn myself on the grill.

I got the stuff for Beermuncher's Blonde today. I'll see how that works. The amber I have planned might work too. I haven't tried a Kolch or Lager yet.

I agree with the lighter beers with BBQ. You want something to clean and refresh the palate from the heavy, smoky & fatty foods.

+1 on the Hoppy IPA, APA or Pale Ales, they go awesome with bbq. The citrusy aroma/flavor goes very well with smoked meats. Especially my baby back ribs smoked for 5 hours over lump charcoal and hickory/apple wood. :mug:

I'm just like to point out there is a big difference between bbq's and grilling. Grilling is direct heat while BBqing is slow indirect heat. I like any light beer with my BBQ. I also like lump charcol. It burns hotter & cleaner. I am not wood fan. I;ve been out of that faze for a few years. now for grilling i go propane all the way.

Latest posts

Back