Homebrew sites at work.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNDASJ

Reaction score
Anybody know any beer/homebrew sites you can access at work? All the ones I've tried are blocked under category: alcohol. There's only one I've found and its kegcowboy.com.

That is going to be software specific. Your company filters the Internet content on its network. It'd be hard to tell what is and isn't blocked by your company's software.

IF you can use "Log me in" or "Team veiwer" or a like software you can call up your home computer and see the stuff remotely. This will also use up a lot of bandwidth so the IT dept is going to know sooner or later. EVERYTHING is tracked and logged. There is no such thing as privacy on a work machine this includes every e-mail you send.

FWIW bypassing a company's security measures is normally grounds for termination.

IMO your best bet is to use your equipment to screw around (smart phone/netbook, ect) and not allocate company equipment for personal use or you may find yourself with a lot of free time and no money...

THIS website used to be blocked at work for me... Then the IT dept. switched to a new brand of internet-nazi program. Now I can use this site at work again! It all depends on the type of web filter being used.

We just got a new firewall the other day. Nothing used to be blocked,. Yesterday I tried to check out williams brewing, and it was blocked under alcohol /tobacco. Wtf? This isn't Utah.

Trying bribing the IT dept with homebrew. If you really want to get to sites, use a proxy.

Zamial said:
IF you can use "Log me in" or "Team veiwer" or a like software you can call up your home computer and see the stuff remotely. This will also use up a lot of bandwidth so the IT dept is going to know sooner or later. EVERYTHING is tracked and logged. There is no such thing as privacy on a work machine this includes every e-mail you send.

FWIW bypassing a company's security measures is normally grounds for termination.

IMO your best bet is to use your equipment to screw around (smart phone/netbook, ect) and not allocate company equipment for personal use or you may find yourself with a lot of free time and no money...

This, and if you're really want to view at work use a smartphone. This is what I do, plus you don't have to do the quick click close down.

All online shopping is blocked at work, which sucks.
I usually have to turn my phone into a portable hotspot if I want to order stuff.

plus you don't have to do the quick click close down.

I assume this is where you click the minimize button on the window? One of my favorite, least known computer tricks/tips is to mass minumize my screens by holding the windows button down (The button you never use between the left Ctrl and Alt on your keyboard) and then pressing the "m" key. It will minimize every open window to the tray. ;) Fast and simple.

Hitting the "L" key will lock the computer which basically does the same thing.

No one has EVER seen what is on my screen by coming up behind me.

HBT was blocked for a week at my work, then suddenly it was not...guess the IT guys likes to brew.

Go to google translate and hit Spanish to English...put in homebrewtalk.com and your good to go. You can't post and there will be some silly translations of english words that are also spanish but it works. You used to be able to click the cached link on google and get through that way but that seems to have been "solved" by IT guys

I had luck at my old job with emailing the IT guy and explaining that there was a DIY site I liked browsing during lunch break for Cheese making, meat smoking and general DIY. Unfortunately it also covered alcohol so was blocked. He unblocked it for me. It's worth a shot. Luckily, my new job doesn't have anything blocked it seems.

I assume this is where you click the minimize button on the window? One of my favorite, least known computer tricks/tips is to mass minumize my screens by holding the windows button down (The button you never use between the left Ctrl and Alt on your keyboard) and then pressing the "m" key. It will minimize every open window to the tray. ;) Fast and simple.

Hitting the "L" key will lock the computer which basically does the same thing.

No one has EVER seen what is on my screen by coming up behind me.

Neato. I'm more akin to the Alt-Tab function. You can easily do that one-handed.

I've found that proxy sites, and also a number of the remote desktop programs (such as Splashtop, which I use on my tablet to access my home PC's) are also blocked by my work's filtering software...

Back