Imperial Stout Recipe Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm making the following recipe and wanted to know what you thought of the recipe, and the idea of using American oak. I stole the recipe from here, I just changed the yeast to what I had laying around.

Recipe Type: All Grain @ 70% BHE
Yeast: SLURRY! ~1 cup of PacMan
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.088
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 92
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 39.9 SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.4 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.2 IBU

I was going to soak the American Oak Chips in burbon and throw them in for eight weeks

How much oak are you planning on putting in? 8 weeks is likely too long- you'll want to taste-test it as you go. Another option would be to use oak cubes, which release their flavors more slowly and evenly than chips do.

Edit: This thread just popped up in the new posts feed- you might find it interesting. There's another oaking thread around somewhere, too.

How much oak are you planning on putting in? 8 weeks is likely too long- you'll want to taste-test it as you go. Another option would be to use oak cubes, which release their flavors more slowly and evenly than chips do.

Edit: This thread just popped up in the new posts feed- you might find it interesting. There's another oaking thread around somewhere, too.

Yes, I actually have cubes not chips. I thought it was reversed. I'm soaking them in whiskey now, and I'll drop them in the secondary next week.

Back