My fruit beer looks like raw sewage!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
So just added the fruit to my fruit beer along with some campden tablets and some pectin enzyme and it looks like foamy sludge from the local waste treatment plant :drunk: How long should it be before the enzyme eats through the fruit and it settles out and clears up?

The pectin enzyme only prevents gelling. Give it a couple weeks, then rack off of the fruit for it to clear.

Thanks for the reply. So the fruit should settle to the bottom in a few weeks and then I should rack it to secondary?

The peaches in a recent brew were still firmly on top after two weeks in secondary. I think it would take quite some time for fruit to settle out.

Most homebrew shops should carry it as "pectic enzyme."

The peaches in a recent brew were still firmly on top after two weeks in secondary. I think it would take quite some time for fruit to settle out.

Did you puree yours or put them in whole? I pureed mine, hopefully they will settle out faster...

Thanks, I'll check Austin Homebrew Supply on Monday. I'm dealing with prickly pear cactus fruit this time around. I juiced them but not sure if I should cook first to sanitize or just dump in the juice. In the past when I've used raspberries or cherries, I've always used frozen fruit and just dumped it in and let it settle but I smashed them in the bags first.

Jeffrey

Most homebrew shops should carry it as "pectic enzyme."

Did you puree yours or put them in whole? I pureed mine, hopefully they will settle out faster...

If it's fresh definately sanitize it. I used canned peached so I didn't.

Depending on the sugar content of the fruit, it might not sink right away. Don't worry about it, "have a home brew."

The CO2 should keep the top part of the fruit preserved until it can get water logged enough to settle. Plus, since you added it to the secondary, there should be some alcohol, which can kill germs and further preserve the integrity of your beer.

Just wait it out. Don't worry...it's homebrewing, not rocket science.

May the Yeast be With You!

Back