Czech Pils. but no Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeazlie

Reaction score
I have Mt. Hood, Centennial, Columbus, German Perle, Kent Goldings (UK), Styrian Goldings, German Spalt, Amarillo, Magnum. What would you use? I'm considering the Spalt.:confused:

tbeazlie said:
I have Mt. Hood, Centennial, Columbus, German Perle, Kent Goldings (UK), Styrian Goldings, German Spalt, Amarillo, Magnum. What would you use? I'm considering the Spalt.:confused:

Hey, tbeazlie. Your thread title suggests you are brewing a Czech Pils, right? Or does it mean you have Czech pils malt? If you're brewing something along the lines of Budvar or Urquel, then imho, Deathweed made a good choice. Last year i made 10 gal of a Czech pils knockoff using Mt. Hood. the brew had a flavor similar to Saaz and Tetnanger mix. Not too bad, but lacked the Saaz nose.
Cheers :)

tbeazlie said:

Spalt would be great, it's one of my favorite hops, but the beer is going to taste more like a German than a Czech pils without the Saaz. You might consider using Magnum and/or Perle as part of the bittering addition to make those low-alpha hops go farther. If you can find them the recent US variety Sterling gets very good reviews as a Saaz substitute.

BigEd said:
Spalt would be great, it's one of my favorite hops, but the beer is going to taste more like a German than a Czech pils without the Saaz. You might consider using Magnum and/or Perle as part of the bittering addition to make those low-alpha hops go farther. If you can find them the recent US variety Sterling gets very good reviews as a Saaz substitute.

I would recommend Sterling too, but if you want to use the hops you have on hand, I'd go Spalt.

Back