SMaSH Honey Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewer21

Reaction score
OK Extract brewers. Brew day was yesterday and fermentation is looking good. Recipe is:
5.5lbs Wheat LME 60/40
1 oz. Liberty Hops (Alpha 3.7%) - put in with LME at beginning of boil
16oz. Honey at end of boil (to boost the alcheehol)

I will put in secondary next week to clear it up. I plan on bottling 6-12 bottles without the peach then I'll add peach extract to the rest.

I'll let you all know how it turns out in a few weeks. Wish me luck.

I knew I forgot something. I used an American Dry Yeast (forgot the number) - red package. The guy at the LHBS said it wouldn't take the peach taste away (subtle yeast). The whole point was to get something for the ladies to drink in the upcoming warm weather. :ban:

sounds like us-05

safale05.jpg

I brewed a (AG) peach-ginger wheat on Saturday... tried a new approach to fruit beer by brewing with black tea... seems to be a proven method by some of our senior members and even used by Dogfishhead I believe...

Seems much easier than messing with real fruit and I heard the fruit flavor extracts suck and taste like dish soap.

Keep posted here for updates on how this worked:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59496

RoaringBrewer said:
I brewed a (AG) peach-ginger wheat on Saturday... tried a new approach to fruit beer by brewing with black tea... seems to be a proven method by some of our senior members and even used by Dogfishhead I believe...

Seems much easier than messing with real fruit and I heard the fruit flavor extracts suck and taste like dish soap.

Keep posted here for updates on how this worked:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59496

Man way to rain on my second brew parade RoaringBrewer. Just Kidding. I have heard the same a/b the extract but have also heard horror stories on the actual fruit, not to mention it's not the season. 6 to one, half dozen to another. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Is it really a SMaSH if you are using 60/40 extract?

Eh. It's in the spirit of the SMaSH idea, I say it still "counts".

This sounds quite interesting, look forward to hearing your results! A peach wheat has been on my "play with this" list for a while. :)

I made something like this (smaller batch and I used apple juice for a little more kick). I bottled it last Wed or so and will be waiting a couple of weeks. Here's what mine had-

1 lb. extra light DME
1 lb wheat DME
1 can frozen Bacardi Daiquiri mix (water, high fructose corn syrup and fruit juices)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 Gal of apple juice (no sugar added, from concentrate)
Nottingham Brewer's yeast

I called it
Pfirsich-Apffalsch
Weißbier

It is nice, the sweetness of the peach plays nicely off the tartness of the apple and the wheat just gives it the indulgent "I'm eating frosted mini wheats satisfaction". I plan on drinking this one as soon as it carbs. Next time i am definitely doubling the batch so that I can fill more than 18 .5l bottles.

Back