Budweiser project 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on the topic of project 12 rather than AB-Inbev's business practices...

I honestly can't say I'd really have any interest in buying these beers. I've yet to be impressed by anything AB produces, especially considering I find Shock Top anything to be almost laughable. Would I like to try them? You bet. I just don't want to (most likely) waste my money.

Back on topic, sorry, about the beer, bud must use a malt that has a high diastic power to convert rice.Iv'e looked I cant find out weather or not this is all malt or it contains adjuncts.This would be the pivotal question,does this"craft beer" have adjucnts?

I'm tasting them and writing my thoughts on them now. Alane, I don't think they have much in the way of adjuncts, if they do there is a lesser percentage of them in these beers, AND I think that if they are they might be using more corn than rice. But I'm not sure. So far I've tasted 63118 and 23185, and they seem more grainy to me than adjucnty.....

Edit And after tasting it, I'm pretty convinced batch 91406 is all malts. Those of you who liked Bud American Ale I think will really like that one.

And so far I'm surprised by these beers, and how much I'm enjoying them.

777D5A7E-AC66-44F9-9CFC-9CD6EAB3ADD3-8665-00001814078FF71E.jpg

Here's my thoughts. I'm really surprised at how much I actually enjoyed these beer. I didn't really expect to.

29D3E146-5401-4321-BBD3-1FD273637B80-8665-000018140FB7B449.jpg

Batch 63118 St. Louis Batch. Jim Bicklein/Katie Rippel
Pours crystal clear with a deep golden color and a quickly dissipating head. The aroma is reminiscent of the smell of beer when I was a child in the 70’s. Sort of a rich, fruity and sweet aroma. Mouth feel is neither cloying nor slick, it lingers slightly on the way down, but doesn’t leave that sickening sweet coating on the mouth like Budweiser’s more familiar products; it is not watery in the least, you know you’re drinking a fuller bodied beer. The taste is spicy; the Hallertau and Tetnang hops are fully present in this beer. You know this beer really has hops, there is a peppery crispness to this beer, that balances out the sweetness. There’s a lot going on with this beer. It’s not one dimensional in the least- the hops are present while at the same time there is a noticeable graininess as well.
Of all the offerings in this special edition I was the most interested in trying this beer. I am interested in 19th century beers, always looking to taste or brew the beers closest to what was consumed during the golden age of brewing. And this doesn’t disappoint. It also brings me back to those days when I was a small child and my father would run the bar at the local Moose Lodge where he was an officer, and I would help him clear the tables and rinse the beer glasses, and I remember the bready aroma of the beer that lingered in the glasses, bready and yeasty. It’s a smell that I think has been lost in most modern macro-lagers.
If this was the face of Budweiser today, the forefront of modern Pilsners; this is what I would be drinking. This is what this style of beer should be. Rich in flavor, and body, and with a snappy hit of peppery hops balanced by thirst quenching sweetness. If this were a regular in the product line, I would seek it out when I desired a classic American Pilsner.

0CDF8760-5651-4B81-BE04-33975AEC114E-8665-000018141FB3AE49.jpg

Batch 23185 Williamsburg VA. Daniel Westmoreland/Mike Anderson/Dan Kahn.
This is the highly anticipated Oak/Vanilla beer, although I was most excited about tasting the “19th Century” batch, I was most curious about this one. Poured a medium amber, with a thin, snow white head of tight bubbles that quickly dissipated, leaving a small layer on the surface. A small amount of lacing as the glass is emptied. Aroma if that of grain and corn, with a woody note to it, behind that is a slight aroma of hops, and a hint of vanilla sweetness. This beer has a surprising amount of mouthfeel, it is a full bodied beer that envelops the mouth but doesn’t coat it. The flavor is sweet with a woody smoothness to it. There is a hint of sugary bourbon to it, but it’s in the background as is any vanilla presence. Overall it’s a very drinkable beer with a subtle complexity.

7FEC8C17-1615-4E6D-9A88-B4BA898A7A2F-8665-00001814295030FD.jpg

Batch 91406 Los Angeles, Ca. Bryan Sullivan/Scott Ungerman/Dave Cohen
This poured reddish hued amber with almost no head. Almost appeared flat with very little lacing. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and crisp in a thirst quenching way. Almost no aroma whatsoever is evident in this beer, which is disappointing, especially in comparison with the previous two submissions. Although there is a lack of any discernible aroma this surprisingly has the most flavor of all the very flavorful beers. Caramel malts are the highlight of this beer, lending it a rich full flavor which are cut nicely with the spiciness of the hops. This one would be closest to a craft beer I would normally drink. Of all three of these interesting beers, this one took me by surprise and is my favorite. I only wish the hop aroma matched the flavor profile.

Personally I vowed a while ago never to support Budweiser with my money, and I'd only try something like this if someone else had purchased it. I applaud them for being able to make such a consistant product through the years, but I just can't come to terms with the way they run their business, like how they buy up breweries just for the name and abandon the original breweries and/or integrity. Case and point: Rolling Rock, Stella, now Goose Island.

Maybe one day they'll be back on my good side, but even then I'd still rather spend $16 on a 4-pack of amazing craft brew before I spend $16 on a 24-pack of their product. :/

:mug:

Excellent review Revvy, thanks for posting!

I really enjoy a craft Pilsner on occasion, it's too bad beers like batch 63118 aren't the standard for BMC. I may try these after all, my Dad will be here for Christmas and these would be more up his alley than my coffee Porter or APA that is technically an IPA (got a little heavy-handed with the Amarillos :p ).

Excellent review Revvy, thanks for posting!

I really enjoy a craft Pilsner on occasion, it's too bad beers like batch 63118 aren't the standard for BMC. I may try these after all, my Dad will be here for Christmas and these would be more up his alley than my coffee Porter or APA that is technically an IPA (got a little heavy-handed with the Amarillos :p ).

I'm going to go against the grain here, since this is an already feather-ruffled thread.

"too bad" for you and me. Most people like BMC. Which is why most people buy it. We, here, are not most people, in fact we are a large group of not-most-people so it seems like we are more than we are, but we're not. Otherwise, we would have a lot less BMC and a lot more micros.

I think its nice that they give it a go. Its not going to sell because the BMC crowd is not going to like it, they only drink what dad drank, and thats all they will ever drink... and the micro- crowd arent going to dig it... evidenced by the majority of flaming in the post.

Im curious why there isnt tons of hate when a microbrewery does a pilsner. They are emulating a style made famous by BMC.

Food for thought

I'm going to go against the grain here, since this is an already feather-ruffled thread.

"too bad" for you and me. Most people like BMC. Which is why most people buy it. We, here, are not most people, in fact we are a large group of not-most-people so it seems like we are more than we are, but we're not. Otherwise, we would have a lot less BMC and a lot more micros.

I think its nice that they give it a go. Its not going to sell because the BMC crowd is not going to like it, they only drink what dad drank, and thats all they will ever drink... and the micro- crowd arent going to dig it... evidenced by the majority of flaming in the post.

Im curious why there isnt tons of hate when a microbrewery does a pilsner. They are emulating a style made famous by BMC.

Food for thought

I think the Germans and Czechs made Pilsners first. :D

If AB made Prima Pils, I'd be at the front of the parade.

Interesting followup to my post last night. The beers I evaluated last night I did at near freezing temps, figuring that most non beer geeks would drink them like they're used to with their other bud products. So I had chilled those in the freezer before sampling them, and I put the rest of them overnight in my keezer which took them down to 45 degrees.

I just came home from work, and pulled out a bottle of 63118, and poured it into a pilsner glass. Now this would be really where the rubber hit the road, how would it taste in the range of ale temps? Of course we all would expect that this was where the flaws would show up.....and it didn't. It's actually even better tasting that it was iced cold. There are some caramel malts at play here, and a slight under current of I think corn, and on top of that is some complex hoppy bitterness. Still holding up. Very flavorful.

I wouldn't expect flaws of any kind. Just not a lot of flavor or big time experimentation.

I wouldn't expect flaws of any kind. Just not a lot of flavor or big time experimentation.

Well, you're wrong, there's LOTS of flavor in these beers, that's the surprising thing. And as for experimentation, you have to decide for yourself if doing this project isn't one big experiment, and allow things like high hopping rates, crystal malts, vanilla and bourbon soaked oak isn't MAJOR out of the box thinking for a conservative corporate culture such as this. Me since I don't have any prejudices against these guys to bias me,they're main product line is not my cup of tea, but I still respect that they make a consistent and an evidently excellent product for those who like that type of beer. Just because I don't enjoy bud, bud light, etc, doesn't mean that they make crap, just stuff I don't care for. So I think it's a huge step out of their comfort zone....

As the OP i am still looking for these! Crazy you would think they would be everywhere.

Revvy that review was superb. Thank you! Really looking forward to the 63118 and 23185.

So I think it's a huge step out of their comfort zone....

This is exactly what i was trying to get at with this thread. Bud does nothing for me. Yet this seems to be something they want there "not the norm" crowd to enjoy, and still enjoy as a well crafted american beer.

Food for thought
Incorrect. BMC makes adjunct lagers that you could hardly call pilsners. Basically a bastardization of the style. When a craft brewery makes a pilsner, they are emulating a European style created by Josef Groll that tastes quite different.

Incorrect. BMC makes adjunct lagers that you could hardly call pilsners. Basically a bastardization of the style. When a craft brewery makes a pilsner, they are emulating a European style created by Josef Groll that tastes quite different.

Right.

To nip this one in the bud, for anyone wondering about difference between a Budweiser and a pilsner, there are two things you should do.

1) of course, buy a Bud and drink it side by side with a Victory Prima Pils or a Warsteiner.

2) Look at http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php where pilsners (Cat. 2 - Pilsner) are in a different category as Bud, which is Cat 1B Standard American Lager.

As someone who find equal pleasure in a Backwoods Bastard as I do in a can of Gansett (all about the right beer for the right time) I will give these a shot. They seem to be geared toward folks like myself who enjoy both sides of the so called beer wars, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that a significant % of craft drinkers try these also. If nothing else, they sound like solid session brews!

"Emulating" was the operative word. Lets not forget how new styles come into being... CPA, BIPA, shoot rewind to the origins of IPA. I am not a bmc history professor but I'd say that they call themselves a pilsner and created the American light lager or American premium lager.
Not having a lot of flavor... compared to what we are used to, not what bmc drinkers are used to.
Listen its all relative, I'm just trying to clarify my statement. I wouldn't expect flaws in a Budweiser. I would expect to be underwhelmed. If I'm surprised and it replaces an oaked arrogant bastard in my fridge, then I'd be blown away.

I have a feeling the typical budweiser/bmc drinker will hate these beers. They really are just too complex compared to the signature products. I've drunk them all now at various temps, and they have a lot of flavor. The ones that mention they have hops, have hops. The one with oak and vanilla, when warm, would pass for a craft beer anyday (it's could almost pass for a vanilla flavored Innis and Gunn.)

I don't think they'll fly with the average macro beer drinker. Has anyone tracked what happened with Bud American Ale? Is it still in the marketplace? I think AHB/Inbev has a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing going for them...they're almost typecast as much as Kelsey Grammer. If they make a beer that stretches beyon the comfort zone of their audience, they won't touch them...they're too hoppy, or malty, or "flavorful," and the typical craft/micro brewer/homebrewer has a such a hate on for them, or just doubts they can pull something off like this, will virtually ignore them.

I don't think they'll fly with the average macro beer drinker. Has anyone tracked what happened with Bud American Ale? Is it still in the marketplace? I think AHB/Inbev has a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing going for them...they're almost typecast as much as Kelsey Grammer. If they make a beer that stretches beyon the comfort zone of their audience, they won't touch them...they're too hoppy, or malty, or "flavorful," and the typical craft/micro brewer/homebrewer has a such a hate on for them, or just doubts they can pull something off like this, will virtually ignore them.

Wikipedia says it was discontinued last year...I know I haven't seen it in quite some time. Strangely enough, their website is still active. Shame, it was one of the few AB products I would happily drink. I think you're right about the damned if you do, damned if you don't idea though. They're always going to be stuck making crap if that's all people will buy from them.

I picked up that 12 pack twice now (in FL). For $14, its not a bad bargain. The yellow top beer (a kinda Bo Pils, I think) is decent. Nothing to scream about. The blue topped beer was generally viewed as the most flavorful among the folks that drank them with me, but it doesn't taste anything like bourbon or vanilla. In 1 of the 12packs, we picked out 'smoke' as a very subtle flavor, but didn't notice it from the other pack. The red top beer was a little drier than the blue, but also a little more boring.

One funny thing about these beers is that they did NOT have ANY of that 'classic' Bud flavor of fermented Cheerios (at least that's how they taste to me). None of the folks who sampled the beers with me had anything real negative to say, other than that the beers were a little boring. They were clean and inoffensive.

Cool. AB-InBev wants to try developing their own 'craft'-style beer instead of focusing solely on buying up craft breweries and wearing them like a costume. That's great.

I still won't buy their beer, because of their business practices.

Picked up a pack today and am sampling now. They all petty much taste like sanitized versions of mainstream American Lager trying to be more "craft". I opted to drop $14 on this box of Bud as opposed to $14 on the 12 of Celebration ale I normally get this time of year (been through a few cases since it showed up at the local grocery store). Wishing I could return the unused portion of the Buds and trade for the SN. Lesson learned......:(

I have been on a Project 12 kick since I discovered it at my Kroger last month. What's all the hate all about? Great pour, smooth and full mouthfeel, and in my opinion a nice finish. I enjoyed the LA one the best, STL was a close second, and the VA one was OK but I didnt taste the bourbon stave connection at all. Going to get another 12er tomorrow when my buddy comes over for a grill party. From what I've read, there's a lot of hate toward ABInBev...could someone explain this to me?

I have been on a Project 12 kick since I discovered it at my Kroger last month. What's all the hate all about? Great pour, smooth and full mouthfeel, and in my opinion a nice finish. I enjoyed the LA one the best, STL was a close second, and the VA one was OK but I didnt taste the bourbon stave connection at all. Going to get another 12er tomorrow when my buddy comes over for a grill party. From what I've read, there's a lot of hate toward ABInBev...could someone explain this to me?

It's not worth mentioning. Just enjoy the beer, and realize there's gonna be snobs everywhere.

Most people who hate AB/InBev do so because of their business practices, such as buying up big-name breweries/brands (i.e. Rolling Rock, Stella, etc.) then lowering the quality of the product while still maintaining the same price. In dire cases, such as with Rolling Rock, they shut down the original brewery and put people out of jobs. This is my biggest beef with them.

I'm a bit agitated that they are able to dominate the beer market with their "beer," but that's much more on the average American consumer than AB themselves. If people will buy it, they'd be stupid not to brew it. Unfortunately this is also why AB gets a lot of heat, which isn't as deserved.

InBev makes pretty tasteless beer however they have the best brewers in the world. That light lager style is extremely difficult to make, and be consistent on that level.

Back