Proper positioning on pipe fittings for pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
I'm building a pump in a toolbox build and I'm having a bit of a problem getting my pipe fittings attached to it to work out properly. My problem is that I can't seem to get the T (and to a lesser extent the ball valves) both tight and aligned in the correct direction. Any tips on how to get this to work out right with plumbers tape and tightening or am I better off reading through the "soldering steel" thread at the top of the page and trying to go that route?

If you are talking about threading on the fittings to the pump head, I suggest just adjusting the amount of teflon tape you add to the threads. This will allow you to tighten a little more or a little less. Also use a large wrench/channel lock/pipe wrench and make sure you are getting all you can out of it, you can usually tighten further than you think

I think you need a back up wrench, like another pipe wrench or channell locks etc. tighten the tee till its where you want it, then hold the tee still with your other pipe wrench or channell locks and tighten your valve.

If you are talking about threading on the fittings to the pump head, I suggest just adjusting the amount of teflon tape you add to the threads. This will allow you to tighten a little more or a little less. Also use a large wrench/channel lock/pipe wrench and make sure you are getting all you can out of it, you can usually tighten further than you think

Be careful how much you tighten. Polysulfone has a limited tensile strength before it will break. It's much lower than stainless fittings, for certain.

MC

Not directly on to the pump head, but on to another fitting. My inlet on the pump is pump head -> coupling -> camlock -> 90° elbow -> T -> ball valve / camlock for hose connections. Outlet is pump head -> coupling -> camlock -> 90° elbow -> ball valve -> camlock for hose connections. A picture would probably make this much clearer.

I'll give extra plumbers tape a shot, I was under the impression that using too much would cause problems with leaks so I didn't consider that.

Be careful how much you tighten. Polysulfone has a limited tensile strength before it will break. It's much lower than stainless fittings, for certain.

MC

Thanks for the warning. I did a polysulfone coupling on both sides of the pump and then did camlock fittings on those so I could have less bits sticking out of the toolbox when it was being moved/stored. The coupling was recommended from Austin Homebrew (I think) to prevent damaging the pump head with the steel threads.

Back