Wheat Ale "stuck" at 1.025

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanberg

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am trying to brew a stronger wheat ale, and after 9 days in primary, I seem to be stuck at 1.025. My OG was 1.070 and I pitched a smack pack of Wyeast Bavarian Wheat at about 70F. I had a very vigorous early fermentation (first time i've every had to use a blowoff with a bucket), and fermented at a little higher than usual temps (averaged around 72 degrees). My question is, can I kick start the fermentation at this point to knock off a few more points? I would ideally like to end up around 1.010. I've tried swirling the bucket to stir up the yeast a little, but I don't want to go crazy and accidentally oxidize or taint it at this point. Here are some things I was considering:

1) Boil a few ounces of water and mix in some yeast food and add that to the primary
2) Buy another smack pack of the same yeast, and add it to the primary
3) Both 1 and 2

Any thoughts? Is it even worth it at this point? I tasted my sample after I measured the gravity, and it was delicious, so I don't want to ruin the batch. I just wanted to try to make a non-traditional stronger wheat ale.

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan

Back