Filter for City Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

Reaction score
A professional brewer recently suggested that I get a water filter for my brewing setup, chlorine and other nasties being present in the city water I use.

6 or 10 gallon batches are the norms for me, 2 batches / month.

Faucet, inline, quick disconnects? What do others use?

Thanks.

remember a charcoal filter will remove chlorine, but not chloramine. campden tablets will remove chloramine. you should call your water department and ask which type of chlorinator they use. sometimes they also switch between them thruout the year (ie. chlorine in the winter/ chloramine in the summer, or vice versa).

i dont like that filter only because they dont tell you the micron rating. for charcoal filters you want either a 1 or .5 micron rating to remove more of that chlorine smell/taste. 5 or 10 micron lets a lot thru in my experience. the smaller the nominal rating, the more surface area each molecule of water has to travel past to get thru, which removes more contaminants.

Supposedly, (morebeer mentions this on the page for their carbon block filter) carbon block filters CAN remove chloramine if the filter is used at less than 1 gallon per minute flow rate.

I use on of these and keep the flow rate slow. Available at your local retail store (HD, Lowes, WM, etc...) for about 16 bucks its good for 300 gallons.

inline rv filter.jpg

I just built one to fit my outside faucets because brita filtering 8 gallons by gravity caused a bit of a delay on brew day. All parts purchased at home depot (29.99 for the filter) and the filter is good for 20,000 gallons supposedly. Thats at least 2,000 batches....should last a few years :)

Just needed a couple of adapters to get from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch garden hose size.

image-1825205830.jpg

I plan on getting one of these installed under the kitchen sink in my new apartment. I'm also thinking about installing one on the brew stand when I get that. With the correct filter combination, you can filter out pretty much everything that you don't want in your water. Plus, the flow rate is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back